• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vice City wont reinstall? help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Disco_Stu

I had Vice City working perfectly. Then I reformatted/repartitioned my harddrives, and now it wont reinstall. The only thing differant is Vice City is now being installed on a partition seperate from WinXP.

It gets to about 60% then I get this:
CRC Error: The File d:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto: Vice City\models\gta3.img does not match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are installing may be corrupted; contact your software vendor.

Now this makes no sense as a) the install cd is NOT scratched, it has been out of the case exactly ONCE before 15 mins ago, its brand new and b) the game was just working fine less than 6 hours ago.

Anyone know what to make of this?

Disco_Stu said:
I had Vice City working perfectly. Then I reformatted/repartitioned my harddrives, and now it wont reinstall. The only thing differant is Vice City is now being installed on a partition seperate from WinXP.

It gets to about 60% then I get this:

Now this makes no sense as a) the install cd is NOT scratched, it has been out of the case exactly ONCE before 15 mins ago, its brand new and b) the game was just working fine less than 6 hours ago.

Anyone know what to make of this?

sounds like your cd is pooched. if the cd is not scratched and still getting crc errors, then chances are your cd is bad.
The scratches may be microscopic and you might try and copy the cd using a backup program (since you own it and I doubt the store will take it back) (this procedure works good for CDs that are scratched) and I’m sorry if this breaks the rules but considering the situation you need to look for a file that will allow you to play the backup that you own. PM sent.

If I broke any rules then feel free to edit the post mods.

Indeed. CRC errors mean the cd is bad. I just bought vice city last week and It wouldnt install with an error simlair to yours. If you still have your orginal reciept and it hasnt been 30 days since purchaced take it back to the store, they are required by law (At least in WA) to exchange it for a working copy as long as there are no visual signs of abuse.

Crap. I didnt do anything to it honest. What a pain.

CloneCD here I come. And then off to find the reciept.

Greasy fingerprint? I get those errors all the time from fingerprints on cd's and I just wash the cd in soap and water. Works great and the cd ends up working.

Take these steps:

First, try washing it with very mild soap and water (ivory soap, believe or not, will clean just about ANYTHING.)

Failing that, try a soft kleenex and some toothpaste, and gently polish the surface - if you see a scratch, assume that's the culprit and polish that area.

Failing THAT, Rockstar most probably has some sort of 'So your original bona fide CD is defective?' program, if the retail joint you bought it from balks at taking it back.

Well, I cleaned it thoruoughly, still nothing.

Then I used CloneCD to make an .iso of the install cd, and it installed. (btw, I copy/pasted my original post to rockstar tech support, and they did send me a lengthy response. But most of it was suggestions like "press ctrl+alt+del and close all applications other than explorer.exe". and in one section they specifically mentioned NOT using cloneCD, Alochol 120 etc. so. )

but, it still ticks me off, and I cant find my original reciept, so can anyone point me toward someplace where i could find a copy of the law concerning crc errors? I want to know if I can legitimately insist that tey replace my cd.

(and yea, i think the game gods are angry that I got a free copy of UT2k3... or maybe that it took me so long to get the stuff to FarEast... sorry bout that agian buddy :p )

Disco_Stu said:
Well, I cleaned it thoruoughly, still nothing.

Then I used CloneCD to make an .iso of the install cd, and it installed. (btw, I copy/pasted my original post to rockstar tech support, and they did send me a lengthy response. But most of it was suggestions like "press ctrl+alt+del and close all applications other than explorer.exe". and in one section they specifically mentioned NOT using cloneCD, Alochol 120 etc. so. )

but, it still ticks me off, and I cant find my original reciept, so can anyone point me toward someplace where i could find a copy of the law concerning crc errors? I want to know if I can legitimately insist that tey replace my cd.

(and yea, i think the game gods are angry that I got a free copy of UT2k3... or maybe that it took me so long to get the stuff to FarEast... sorry bout that agian buddy :p )

Just take it back to walmart, they will exchange anything without a receipt. lol

Walmart is great for this reason.

For those that say they they are getting ripped off, wallmart will get a replacement from Rockstar anyway

dont tempt me.

haha

walmart is the one store i wouldnt feel bad about doing something like that to

I got the shaft after buying a broken ATI tv tuner card @ Best Buy. The would not take it back because I when I purchased it I got an open item discount.

I got mad because I was out 50 bucks so I took it back to WalMart.

lol.

Since Walmart usually overprices their computer components I got 59 bucks back.

If that makes me a bad person, then so be it, but I rather Walmart have to send it back to ATI and have ATI foot the bill for a replacement than me taking a $50 hit.

Once i returned my MX440(it died) and it was 6 months later and still 120$. They gave me the money, and instinctively i picked up the box and walked outta the store. At the car i realised what i had done and suddenly i had a simpathy attack.On the way home i was thinking "WHY didnt i keep it? I could keep returning it again and again!!"

Back