• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista 64-bit Motherboard Advise, Q9450 2.66GHz 12MB, PCIe2.0 8800GT 1GB SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
while you will see HDTV's with 120hz shown. there is a chip that doubles the fsp to match the 120hz. the tv does not take a input signal with 120hz, it will still be recieving 60hz from your computer.

at the res your playing at you will get the same numbers from 16/8 vs 16/16, its only when you go above that you need 16/16.

your really thinking to much into this.. just get the asus....

hah, you can never think too much if you have the time to do so! ;)

remember, two years in the future ill probly want to upgrade. at that point in time i bet it would make sense to have two 16x/16x pcie 2.0 slots is what im thinking. or do you think that it will be the same story two years from now? especially considering around that time triple and quad channel ram will be coming around along with 8 core processors.

yeah i knew about the interpolation or the 60Hz(fps) it recieves. i was just curious that if its possible for the tv to display it at 120hz that it made sense that they would make a computer input that would allow 120Hz eventually.

tri-channel ram will be out with neha at the EOY. then go ahead and go with X38/X48 if your that worried about CF performance.

yeah it seems like you are right, i looked at the benches, and from what i see its kinda pointless to get two cards in sli unless you are running a large res.

never the less i still want a board that will do 16x/ 16x in pcie 2.0 that has solid caps and good PWM

got anything in mind? ;)

i dont like spending the type of time and money it takes to research, buy, and build a nice custom computer and saying to myself "i compromised some present and future performance, but i wont ever see the few percentage difference anyway." heck if i just wanted my games to run smoother i could just pop in a dual core pentium d and buy a new card.

functionally the computer im building is a waste of money.

who needs two cards in sli, 4 of the newest cores with the largest cache and fsb, 8gb of ram, 4 harddrives in raid 1+0 and 9 more for storage?

when pretty much any old p4+ computer with a 100$ card and enough ram will play pretty much any game out in ok quality at a reasonable resolution.

the only person who can justify a purchase like this is someone who is an enthusiast.

i spend a huge part of my time on my computer, and im a computer tech by trade thusfar in my life. so i like my computer to be pimped out and thought out. not to mention...

i have no experience with sli, nor raid, thats about to change.

i plan on getting the Killer ethernet nic card with its own processor, raid controllers with thier own processors. a decent sound card with its own processor as well. and i have a nice watercooling setup to go with it

so yeah ;) people tell me i overthink stuff alot. but hey, whatever at least the story isnt "i didnt think about it enough"

never the less, its all a moot point if i cant find the motherboard to put everything in so lets stay focused ;)

Sorry, I had to. This mistake bothers me.

when pretty much any old p4+ computer with a 100$ card and enough ram will play pretty much any game out in ok quality at a reasonable resolution.

Ugh, please don't say that :bang head

People are just trying to suggest better alternatives. I understand your experience with 128MB vs. 256MB but realize this is a different animal entirely.

i see that the asus P5E costs a tad bit more after shipping than the P5E deluxe i think thats hilairious.

will any of these stop running 16x/16x if i have a card in a pcie slot? i know some motherboards do that.

im concerned because

and i havnt decided on any of these parts other than the killer NIC

killer nic = 1 pci

audio card = 1 pcie or pci

two raid controller cards with processors = 2 pcie or pci.

usb backplate for the additional 4 usb ports. = 1 pci?

so that means im going to have 5 pci/pcie cards in there in addition to my CF setup. i may have to give up the 4 extra usb ports and deal with a hub ;)

any reccomendations for good raid 1+0 3gb/s cards with good processors/chipset/driver experince? im going to try not to have any harddrives connected to my motherboard and i will have 8 internal harddrives.

now am i correct in the notion that if you have any 1.5gb/s harddrives connected anyplace on the computer/addon cards that all the drives will run 1.5gb/s?

im thinking that if i put anything in the 4X slot on all those motherboards that it wont run at 16/16 anymore?

since the configuration is 3pcie and 2 pci and vice versa. i was thinking id put the killer NIC alone on the pci slots so it wouldnt have to fight for resources amongst pci slots. and then id put 2 pcie raid cards in, and probly a pcie sound card.

what do you guys think?

Last edited:
i see that the asus P5E costs a tad bit more after shipping than the P5E deluxe i think thats hilairious.

will any of these stop running 16x/16x if i have a card in a pcie slot? i know some motherboards do that.

im concerned because

and i havnt decided on any of these parts other than the killer NIC

killer nic = 1 pci

audio card = 1 pcie or pci

two raid controller cards with processors = 2 pcie or pci.

usb backplate for the additional 4 usb ports. = 1 pci?

so that means im going to have 5 pci/pcie cards in there in addition to my CF setup. i may have to give up the 4 extra usb ports and deal with a hub ;)

any reccomendations for good raid 1+0 3gb/s cards with good processors/chipset/driver experince? im going to try not have any harddrives connected to my motherboard and i will have 8 internal harddrives.

now am i correct in the notion that if you have any 1.5gb/s harddrives connected anyplace on the computer/addon cards that all the drives will run 1.5gb/s?

im thinking that is i put anything in the 4X slot on all those motherboard that it wont run at 16/16 anymore?

since the configuration is 3pcie and 2 pci and vice versa. i was thinking id put the killer NIC alone on the pci slots so it wouldnt have to fight for resources amongst pci slots. and then id put 2 pcie raid cards in, and probly a pcie sound card.

what do you guys think?
Wait. Why not use the onboard SATA ports?

i would go head over heals for a CF of the 4850's if the 4850 came in a dual slot cooler option. I just don't like GPU heat to circulate inside the case. Id rather have it go directly out through the second slot.

The 9800GTX at $200 at least comes with a dual slot cooler. I just don't like the Nvidia chipsets though. P45 with CF is awesome but just the non dual slot 4850. Perhaps when a 4850 comes in a dual cooler then I'll be all over it.

I guess what I can do is get 1 4870 now and later on get another 4870. If I bought a 8800GTX Nov 06 then got another this day then that SLI setup would be just as good performance as the 1 GTX280 which is new. Hopfully it would be like that with the 4870 that comes out LOL

will any of these stop running 16x/16x if i have a card in a pcie slot or 4x slot? i know some motherboards do that.

wow this thread is getting long ;) anyway like i said figuring out what board will run 16/16 while running (and fitting) all 5 of these cards is my main concern atm.

its 5 cards in addition to my 2 CF 4850 video cards. im concerned they may not fit. are there full cover 4850 water cooling solutions that would reduce the cooling solutions size? i found a site that has one but its not available yet

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=705

here are the 5 cards...

ageia physx card = PCI&PCIE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143055
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121246

Killer nic card = PCI
http://www.killernic.com/

2 x raid controller cards with onboard Processor.

im looking for these but they seem to range in price. anyone out there know which cards are priced well for microprocessor raid 1+0 3Gb/s?

an audio card
havnt even started my research on the audio card im getting.

also does anyone know what kind of radiators this guys is using?

3_rad019.jpg

looks like a BIP in the back and possible heatercore up front...as to the rest of your post i answered that in your other thread. BTW dont bother with the physx card. ATI is getting that tech lisenced to them. they will be able to offer Physx's on GPU like nv has now.

then drop the raid card and use the onboard raid controller. at most its going to use is 15% of the cpu... in a way time your making this way harder then it should be. as the killer nic is way over priced and i could get the same results just by using the cheap 10/100nic intel nic i have. I got those each one from ebay at $3.99 each 2years ago...

you are going to have to compromise on something here for this rig time, thats my point. you either lose the killer nic or raid card or phyx's card ....

i dont see why? it has enough slots to accomodate what i want to put inside it. im just asking about clearance issues. why settle?

im going to be playing games with physx titles. so im going to buy it unless i can buy graphics cards in sli that have it already?

i want to try out the killer nic because hey i like the idea and im trying out new technology which is the point of this build. make myself a new computer, and try out all the new technology. aka raid 1+0 with a controller or 2, a ethernet prosessor, physx, and Crossfire

are the graphics cards going to interfere with some of the slots? i do plan on watercooling them.

and am i right that i cant connect a 1.5 GB/s harddrive to the computer via card or motherboard without slowing all my 3gb/s drives down?

Back