• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt ? on 8rda+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ayoung

I have a crappy psu...

When I put my volts higher on my CPU (vcore) on then run prime 95, the +12 and -12 go up (normal @ like 12.2-12.5, and then what im talking about is up to like 12.9-13.1).... not down? Wtf?

Does anyone know why this is like this?

Is it good or bad?

Thanks alot

Adam

josi

Yes, seams like you have a cheap PSU which don't have a separate voltage regulation for +5V and +12V. If +5V line goes down under load, PSU will compensate it and also pull up +12V line. It's not good, in fact it can be very bad for your hard drives, causing them to overheat. And of course, it will limit your overclocking :)

glock19owner

This also can damage your motherbaord also...I have personally experienced this on one of my 8RDA+'s...fried the +12 MB connector and the PSU...

OP
ayoung

ayoung

josi said:
Yes, seams like you have a cheap PSU which don't have a separate voltage regulation for +5V and +12V. If +5V line goes down under load, PSU will compensate it and also pull up +12V line. It's not good, in fact it can be very bad for your hard drives, causing them to overheat. And of course, it will limit your overclocking :)

I thought that these new mobos used the +12v for the cpus power?

no?

Thanks

Adam