• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

w00t!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KidJethro

I just got my Vantec Tornado in the mail. I plugged it in to the power supply just to see/hear it run...omg. lol, it sounds just like a hair dryer, and puts out more air and noise than my little 6" blade house fan. When I plugged it in, I had it sitting on top of my case, the torque spun it off onto the floor. :eek: Just waiting on my SP-94 heatpipe to show up now. Toooo coool! Just thought I'd share my excitment. :D

Just for comparison, I took a picture of it to show the size difference between it and the Intel fan..
cpufans.jpg

:cool: :D

wuaha, thinking of getting a fan controller or something to turn it down when you don't need all that pow-ah? have fun with you new toy :D:D :p

Edge386 said:
Do you clean your fingernails :D ? but seriously, hope it chills and fulfills

lol, good eye. yeah I clean them of course, but my other hobby is this..
truggy5.jpg

I had just gotten back in the house from working on it, thus the dirty hands/fingernails. :D

Wish the SP-94 would get here. :)

If the noise is to loud and you don't have a fan controller, an easy mod is to move the ground wire on the Tornado's molex plug to the far side so it plugs into the 5v lead. This will make the fan operate on 7v and about 60% its normal speed. I have mine plugged into the "Fan Only" plugs on my True 430 PSU and they are at 5v 90% of the time, unless the PSU gets really warm, then they might approach 8v :)
Be sure you lap that sp--94 before installing it too. My sp-97 had a nasty base finish, coarse machining grooves and a dimple in the middle. Took me 20 minutes with the 240 grit to get the dimple out and the base flat. Another 40 to get it down to 2000 grit. You really only need to take it to 800 to 1000 though.

Noise isn't really a concern for me. I live by myself and I can sleep through a hurricane after driving tanks in the Army. So noise is no worry. I can't wait to get it goin. Come one mail man...hehe

Definetly invest in a fan controller, I thought I could take the noise but I couldn't and so I bought an NXP-201 from Newegg. Now I keep my tornado down to the lowest setting and I get a load temp of 47 C w/ the tornado at approx. 2500 RPM. You won't be dissappointed :D

Here's to you :beer: :beer: :beer:

if that's in your room, and you dont turn it off at night, good luck sleeping. my cuz made a server with all 13 fans being tornados. granted all under the 12v mark, but still loud as hell even from the other side of the basement.

bored-sarcasm said:
if that's in your room, and you dont turn it off at night, good luck sleeping. my cuz made a server with all 13 fans being tornados. granted all under the 12v mark, but still loud as hell even from the other side of the basement.

:eek:

I can barely put up with one tornado, how can you with 13 tornados... With 13 fans you might as well get all ~30 dba fans.

:eek:

The system isn't in my room, so no worries. I really can sleep through ALOT anyways. Oh yeah, I got my SP-94 off Ebay for $40. hehe :D

Back