• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waiting for new video cards from Nvidia...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
Who else is waiting to see what they have to bring to the table?

I can buy the 5870 right now, but a part of me just wants to see what Nvidia has to offer.

I did read that the thermals will be worse than the 5870, however this does not stop hard core gamers...

Who else is on this ride?

Well I am waiting only because I have to because I won't have money for a 5850 until then. I'm certainly not worried about what nvidia will do because as history has shown, they will probably release their flagship dx11 card, probably beat the 5970, but it'll cost so damn more that it won't effect the prices of the current cards ati sells. THAT is what worries me, and I need a new card decently soon because my 8800gt is starting to drop my monitor connections at least once a day.

Well I am waiting only because I have to because I won't have money for a 5850 until then. I'm certainly not worried about what nvidia will do because as history has shown, they will probably release their flagship dx11 card, probably beat the 5970, but it'll cost so damn more that it won't effect the prices of the current cards ati sells. THAT is what worries me, and I need a new card decently soon because my 8800gt is starting to drop my monitor connections at least once a day.

If Nvidia's cards are much more, then its not worth to move to them, and ATI would be in a better light... Nvidia needs to market and have it at the right price point to out sell ATI with their current offerings... However, by March, ATI should have a refresher card out to battle with nvidia new card(s)...

If Nvidia's cards are much more, then its not worth to move to them, and ATI would be in a better light... Nvidia needs to market and have it at the right price point to out sell ATI with their current offerings... However, by March, ATI should have a refresher card out to battle with nvidia new card(s)...

This is assuming they only release 1 card. If they plan on releasing a buget/mid range/and top end it may be different.

man its hard to say on this one .. part of us tells what if nvidia drops a monster .. what if you wait and they dont ? what if they do and ati immediately responds with something even better .. or its so freaking expensive that its like a slap in the face for waiting ... but then again if the monster does arrive and it has a fair price :cry:

hey wait this is a trick question ...:sly:

man id just probably go off what is being said at this point .. i dont think its coming soon and it all depends how itchy you are for a new card .. could buy now and wait and see .. probably what id do

man its hard to say on this one .. part of us tells what if nvidia drops a monster .. what if you wait and they dont ? what if they do and ati immediately responds with something even better .. or its so freaking expensive that its like a slap in the face for waiting ... but then again if the monster does arrive and it has a fair price :cry:

hey wait this is a trick question ...:sly:

man id just probably go off what is being said at this point .. i dont think its coming soon and it all depends how itchy you are for a new card .. could buy now and wait and see .. probably what id do

lol, not a trick question... But I hear where you're coming from. I agree. But Nvidia has alot to clean up after this ATI beating.. the 5870 is a totally awesome card. Will the price drop when Nvidia releases their card? Probably, just to make it more favorable.

Lets say Fermi (GTX380) does 10% across the board faster than the 5870. However, the release price is $549. Does 10% faster equate to a $120 difference? Heck no. But ATI may lower their price when they release the new card, then it will not even be a contest... ATI all the way.

But then we hope the GTX380 will come in @ $499, then we may have a good battle if that happens...

well there is the 5970 .. which would probably drop in price too :D

Correct... But that's in a league by itself.... Dual GPU card.... Can't really use this, however you do make a good point... Nvidia card may be more expensive than the 5970, then ATI would be in a better light...

hate to be you.. such a hard decision :chair:

I'm actually excited. I don't need anything new at the moment. My GTX 280 runs fine with my CPU humming @ 4.2Ghz... Its just having a new card that is so powerful it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it....

I'm actually excited. I don't need anything new at the moment. My GTX 280 runs fine with my CPU humming @ 4.2Ghz... Its just having a new card that is so powerful it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it....

I hear you there.. I miss my 295.. it makes my 285 feel like a 9600xt :D

I too am waiting to see what NV does. I would have jumped on ATI, But I want to see what the other guys will do first before I commit to something like that :)

We'll see!

Im waiting...and will keep waiting until its out. I LOVE the ATI cards right now and its killing me (especially with Forums Wars lurking) to hold on to this GTX260 (even though it plays all things not named Crysis at the highest details levels with 2-4xAA 16xAF which is all I need for 1920x1080).

As far as the thermals, well, Im sure you read that, and its a logical conclusion. But I personally dont care. It will likely exhaust outside the case and power consumption for those in the market for such a montser will hopefully already have the beef to run it. So thermals mean little to me, especially being under water with plenty of rad/fannage to support such a monster. And its own stock cooler is supposed to cool it just fine (who knows with overclocking of course or how loud) so...MEH to thermals for me.

I too am concerned about the pricing but would doubt Nvidia's top single GPU card is going to cost more than ATI's dual GPU card (5970 is $680 at the egg right now). I can see it being $400-450 if it beats out 5870. I have been wrong before though.

Have you found those sources yet on the naming convention ("GTX380")? Sounds likely, but........FERMI is all we have now that is not speculation. Id love to call it that if it was a fact. ;)

The price difference. It may not make sense to you, but to others, benchers like me it certainly does. Its epeen and benchmark bragging rights. If you dont bench, it likely wont make sense.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it the true question is, by releasing fermi stuff, will 275/285/295 drop below 5850/5870/5970 If so, ati may just reply with more price drops, which then I will be very up to waiting. I'd still buy ATI but it'll be even better deal :)

I didn't wait because I read in several places that the reason Nvidia delayed was because they were taken aback by the performance of ATI's current offerings and had to go back to squeeze every ounce of performance out of their new chips possible in order to actually compete when they release. I think that ATI's current roundup is a sound investment, well obviously because I bought one.

I didn't wait because I read in several places that the reason Nvidia delayed was because they were taken aback by the performance of ATI's current offerings and had to go back to squeeze every ounce of performance out of their new chips possible in order to actually compete when they release.

Doubtful!

But holy carp, if I was an ATI guy, I would definately put your quote in my sig! lmfao

LOL, yes that read very fanboyish... I'm just getting back into posting after an 8 month break... and a little rusty on the rules for not inspiring hate and discontent.

LOL, yes that read very fanboyish... I'm just getting back into posting after an 8 month break... and a little rusty on the rules for not inspiring hate and discontent.
Heh, then dont read my posts... those with fewer hackles can get upset. :bday: :welcome:

I dont think they expected ATI to kick em in the nuts as hard as they did :D

We shall see what happens with their new stuff.. I saw a case that was ferni certified.. Looks like an SLI case, but fernier ;)

I dont know.. I think ATI has a pretty good product out. NV had like 6 months to play ketchup ;)

Hopefully the wait is worth it!

ATI is looking bloody powerful compared to Nvidia right about now. More than anything I've ever seen before. The performance gap is HUUUUGE! Is this the end of Nvidia? Hopefully not but I'm waiting for nVidia to release their 300 series then I'll decide to buy a hopefully price dropped 5850 or a GT300 if the price is right.

Back