• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waking a pc remotely, advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

Hi,

I am trying to have a setup so that my home server will go to sleep after 5-10minutes of inactivity but can be quickly woken up whenever I need access.

I have this working like a charm via WoL at home. However I am now trying to be able to get my mobile phone to wake it up via LTE.

I have attempted 2 routes:

1-WoL magic packet. I can send a magic packet and wake the PC up, however I have 2 issues.
- The first is that I can set this up at home (using lte on my phone) and it works like a charm, however as soon as I am away it doesn't seem to wake my pc at all. ( I have port forwarding setup etc and I know it is all working otherwise I would never be able to do it, not sure why it makes a difference when I am not at home!)
- The second being that my ISP changes my ip address at random intervals, so I will need to keep everything up-to-date with my current IP. Is there a free service to give my the same functionality as DynDNS or something?

2- I have also tried setting my server to wake up to any connection. My problem here is the my router regularly seems to ping all connections on the network to check what devise has what IP address (this signal is my top culprit at the moment from some wireshark tests). This then causes the pc to wake up within ~30seconds of going to sleep.

number 2 would be my preference as this is the best solution with plex as plex doesn't have any inherent wol functionality. However I would need to know if there is any way to stop these regular messages from being sent to my PC. My router is 'D-Link Wireless AC1750 Dual-Band Gigabit Cloud Router'

Thanks in advance if anyone has any tips :)

Back