• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want new card, but I'm tossed up over 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
out of curiousity, what does the rest of your system look like? I only ask because these are pretty powerful cards, and if you're still on a machine that's kind of long in the tooth, you might want to broaden your upgrade path.

Personally I love leadtek's 6800gt. I picked up a referb at newegg for $210 and It's running at 435/1.15 stable. It stays really cool even with the dinky little stock fan you just have to take off the fan grill on the card and it quites it down while cooling it down.

alinosa said:
out of curiousity, what does the rest of your system look like? I only ask because these are pretty powerful cards, and if you're still on a machine that's kind of long in the tooth, you might want to broaden your upgrade path.

Well, my machine is about a year old...maybe a year and a half. I'm not sure, but I had it built at this little place that goes around to computer shows, where they custom make rigs. This comp is the second one I've had them build for me. I had lots of problems the first time around, but this machine has been a lot less of a headache.

It basically looks like this:

WinXP Pro (5.1 Build 2600) SP1
Intel P4HT 3.2Ghz (2 cpus)
120 GB Maxtor Ultra ATA HD
GeForce 5500FX 256MB AGP8x w/integrated RamDac
1024 Ram
Bios 8.00.09
SoundMax Integrated Audio
DirectX 9.0c

I'm not sure of any specific mobo or Ram info, but that's about it. I'm also not sure of what my PSU rating is, but I guess I can always pull the side of the tower off and find this stuff out.

bohansen said:
If your going with 6800gt i would recomend getting a Leadtek. the HS on that is huge and gives you a better chance of OCing higher, to past Ultra speeds.

284 at newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122195

I will second that for sure. In my experience PNY has been a POS brand that winds up getting replaced by either a BFG or a Leadtek. I would definitely go with either a Leadtek or a BFG. Those are the two most reliable and best performing brands. IMO PNY is a sub par brand that is definitely not worth the money. Things might have changed since I have bought my Ti4400, but I will definitely never buy one of their cards again.

As for which model, I would try and get an Ultra or just go for the standard 6800.

Back