• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to get a sound card for my pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

I want to get a sound card for my pc. I can't figure out what I want/need to get. It would be going into the pc in my sig and be used mostly with my headset. Speakers are altec lansing, nothing too fancy (don't know the model). Headset is a Beyerdynamic MMX 300.

I've read about the Xonar essnce STX being pretty good, although some people have issues getting it to work properly. I've also checked Asus' website and the latest drivers are from 2011.06.27. Have they stopped support for that card? I like the dedicated speaker/headphone jacks. I do not like the fact that mic in and line in are shared. That wouldn't be a problem if I could still use my mobo for line in, but from what I have read, you are supposed to disable your on board audio when using this card.

Another card that I have looked at is the Xonar Phoebus. I feel like the dongle is gimmicky. Availability of ports is nice. I get the feeling that the phoebus is not as good as the essence.

What would you guys get, and why? Choice is not limited to these two cards.

Here are the technical specs for the headset
Headset:
Transducer type: dynamic
Operating principle: closed
Nominal frequency response: 5 Hz - 30,000 Hz
Nominal impedance: 32 Ohm
Nominal SPL: 96 dB
Nominal THD: < 0.2 %
Power handling capacity: 100 mW
Sound coupling to the ear: circumaural
Isolation from outside distractions: 18 dBA
Headband pressure: 3.5 N
Weight without cable: 380 g
Cable: 2.5 m, straight
Connection: mini stereo jack plugs (3.5 mm)

Microphone:
Transducer type: condenser (back electret)
Polar pattern: cardioid
Frequency response: 30 Hz - 18,000 Hz
THD: 0.2 % at f = 1 kHz
max. SPL: 120 dB
length microphone boom: 150 mm
connection: 3.5 mm stereo jack plug

If you ever go SLI, and watercool, you will start hating PCIe cards. I was very happy with my Bravura 'til I watercooled both 470s and got my V GENE.

If you ever go SLI, and watercool, you will start hating PCIe cards. I was very happy with my Bravura 'til I watercooled both 470s and got my V GENE.

Depends on your board layout really. I don't see a PCI-e card interfering at all with SLI or CF (especially with water) if you have a PCI-e slot above the top GPU

I actually do have two gtx460s, I doubt I'll go watercooling. The 120 extreme meets my needs.

Sigh, I just looked inside and it's pretty tight. I don't think the one above the 3d card would fit. Might fit below the second card.

54hzfc.jpg

It should fit above the top card and be pretty much out of the way if it doesn't run into the heatsink, looking at the slot layout (assuming that's the Z68 Deluxe listed in your sig). If not, below the 2nd card is your only other choice.

The Phoebus and STX are pretty similar in sound quality, with the STX only being slightly better. Main difference is the ports, the STX only does stereo analog while the Phoebus does surround analog (not sure if it's 5.1 or 7.1). Comparable card on the Creative side would be the Titanium HD.

I've read about the Xonar essnce STX being pretty good, although some people have issues getting it to work properly. I've also checked Asus' website and the latest drivers are from 2011.06.27. Have they stopped support for that card? I like the dedicated speaker/headphone jacks. I do not like the fact that mic in and line in are shared. That wouldn't be a problem if I could still use my mobo for line in, but from what I have read, you are supposed to disable your on board audio when using this card.

I have the exact same card, didn't have any problems with it, of course that's all anecdotal evidence but I would take Demlin's post with a grain of salt, simply reading the prompts/manual would have avoided a LOT of his issues.

It's a shame about the lack of drivers but they work fine. It's not like a video card that needs new drivers to support new games though. It does exactly what it has to do and if you want, you can always try the unified driver link posted in Demlin's post (never tried 'em though so I can't tell whether they are good or not).

I didn't disable my onboard audio, in fact I have a 5.1 system connected to it and simply swap between them when I want to play with my headset (xonar) or the speakers (onboard).

Try to run away from PCIe. Have you considered something USB? For example, NwAvGuy's ODA + O2.

Some PCIe cards did have issues because they used the exact same board than the PCI card but dropped a PCIe bridge on it. That was mostly true with the earlier generations but since then it's a lot better. Yes it can be a bit problematic if you have multiple video cards and no room left for the sound card but they still offer better experience compared to most USB devices I've ever tried.

You have to keep in mind that USB comes with a whole different set of problems... Mostly if you have multiple USB devices (hell my usb mouse and keyboard was already too much for some of the usb audio I tried) you'll saturate the controller and you'll end up with sound skipping, intermittent white noise, lag or even completly losing audio until you reboot (depends on how the usb audio device was made).

A workaround would be to add a seperate USB controller but you end up with the same problem than the sound card, yet another PCIe device to fit, somewhere in there.

I'm too chicken to go wc, plus that hs can handle my OC.
As I see it, there are a few options.

Don't get a sound card.
Get a sound card and put it into the bottom most slot.
Get a new video card to replace the current two and try to sell them.
Get water cooling.

Does anyone know if an GTX 670 can run 4 displays at once? I know it has 4 outputs, but I'm not sure if they can be all active at once.

Pretty sure it can. However wc is a bit of a financial commitment. If we're talking new, a cpu block is around $50, a gpu block from $60-$120 (depending if full coverage or not) a triple rad $60 etc. (dont forget pump, tubing, reservoir etc.)

how much maintenance is required for wc and would the temps be quite different??

how much maintenance is required for wc and would the temps be quite different??

I've been strictly on WC for about 7 years now, the performance really is great especially since it's so modular (add a gpu, add another gpu block etc.). Maintenance is something like once every 1-2 years for me, but I only use de-ionized water in my loops + a little copper sulphate to kill any bacteria. People who use the clear tubing and glowing or coloured dyes in their loop may perform maintenance more often.

In short:

pros:
Better performance
Quieter
Better looks (to each his own ofcourse)

cons:
-expensive
-changing major parts (cpu, gpu, motherboard etc.) may require a full draining and re-filling of your loop.
-maintenance (flushing the loop etc.)

Ordered the xonar essence, will find out if it fits when it gets here.

Back