• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to repair XP SP2/3 but option not showing up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wam

I want to repair a Windows XP SP2/3 installation that keeps blue screening on start up. After booting the XP installation CD the screen that gives you the option R to repair a previous install does not show up. I just get the option to overwrite, which I don't want to do as there is some stuff in My Documents that I need to keep.
Is there a way to get the old installation to show up so I can see the repair option?

You want to select the repair consol and then run

chkdsk /r <------- which check the disk for defective sectors are attempt to repair

followed by

fixmbr <--- will ensure your boot sector has not been altered

fixboot <--- will repair the boot record

assuming you aren't running a RAID installation.

Right now your system is not seeing any windows installation to allow a repair on, so there is something major wrong with the disk itself or something has damaged the boot sectors.

I see this quite often with customers machines. It almost always ends with a clean install because even if I get back into windows its buggy.

You want to select the repair consol and then run

chkdsk /r <------- which check the disk for defective sectors are attempt to repair

followed by

fixmbr <--- will ensure your boot sector has not been altered

fixboot <--- will repair the boot record

assuming you aren't running a RAID installation.

Right now your system is not seeing any windows installation to allow a repair on, so there is something major wrong with the disk itself or something has damaged the boot sectors.

What happens if you are running a RAID installation? Is it still possible to perfrom those commands?

Back