• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to Run Seti as a Service & Hide It

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
I've setup a fairly simple procedure for installing the Seti CLC as a windows service in NT 2K XP Net. You can not only name the service whatever you like, but you can also rename the seti client so it shows up in the process list by whatever name you wish. This is handy for those home systems where several different users login and either refuse or simply forget to keep Seti running for you. It also completely hides it so they have no idea what it is if they look in the process list. My instruction list is currently beta, so if you have any trouble let me know. The files are fine, but I may have left a step out, or something might not be worded the best. If you give it a try let me know how it goes. I hope this helps some people. It gives you a lot of control over setting it up, and once you edit the files you simply run the batch file and it's done. As always, only run Seti on machines which you have permission to use. Don't ask other people to run Seti for you on machines which you do not have permission to use. Here are the necessary files zipped up in rar format. You can get win rar from www.rarlabs.com

http://www.ocsetiteam.com/files/seti_service.rar

I've used that too, but you have to actually install that program before you can do anything with it. What I'm trying to do is gear this towards a quick install of Seti that is hidden without any other programs installed that would reference it. Firedaemon is a nice little proggy though.

Why are you using the 3.03 version of the client? Is it better than 3.08? I'm probably gonna try this out if I get an answer to this, coz I see no reason to downgrade the client if the older version isn't better...

I followed all the instructions but when the service starts it comes up with a message saying "The Client service on Local Computer started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, Performance Logs and Alerts service."

Any thoughts on why this isn't working for me? It's being installed on a WinXP machine.

Yes mine did the same thing when I didn't have the user_info.sah file configured properly and also when I used the wrong proxy information so the client couldn't connect to get a wu. Double check all of your path statements too.

Sorry, for some reason I wasn't notified that there was any response on this thread.
I deleted the user_info.sah and then ran the client manually to create a new one. That didn't help.

Here's the install.bat I used:
mkdir "C:\windows\system32\Microsoft\Seti"
copy "registry.reg" "c:\windows\system32\Microsoft\Seti"
regedit /s "c:\windows\system32\Microsoft\Seti\regsitry.reg"
copy "setiathome.exe" "c:\windows\system32\Microsoft\Seti"
copy "user_info.sah" "C:\windows\system32\Microsoft\Seti"
copy "instsrv.exe" "C:\windows\system32\Microsoft\Seti"
copy "srvany.exe" "C:\windows\system32\Microsoft\Seti"

"C:\windows\system32\Microsoft\Seti\instsrv.exe" Client "C:\windows\system32\Microsoft\Seti\srvany.exe"
net start Client

Would it make any difference that I had to run the install.bat a second time since one of the paths was wrong the first time?

I'm using landshark's queue, here's the registry.reg entry for the proxy:
"AppParameters"="-proxy landshark.myftp.org:5517"

I'm stumped.

What about your path lines in the registry file? I'm not sure what it would do if you ran it a second time. Have you verified that the registry entry was correctly added?

i'm having problem to get it running too.... service was added, but it's "stop/not running" according to msconfig & taskmanager....

do i save all the files anywhere i like or i have to save them in windows/system32/M$/? i thought, by reading the reg., it should copy all files to there, right?

i even copy & paste my user file over the one comes from u.....

:rolleyes:

You have to put all of the files in the same place that is referenced in your install and registry files - everything has to be exactly the same.

ok, will give it a try later.........been busy lately.........but sure will get back and let you know Tim! ;)

oh, a quick question, with your setup, it seems like we can't cache WU right? :rolleyes:

Sure - just direct it to your seti queue server with the proper registry key entry. You could also modify this to install Seti Driver as a service. SkyHook was going to try that but I don't know how it turned out.

Stryfe said:
here's the registry.reg entry for the proxy:
"AppParameters"="-proxy landshark.myftp.org:5517"

If connecting to someone else's queue shouldn't this include http:// in front of the address.
ie: "-proxy http://landshark.myftp.org:5517"
or is the http:// just understood

I set this up on one of my rigs at home using my network address.
"-proxy 192.168.0.3:5517"
and it works fine. Am going to try and set it up on a system at work and see if I can get it to run as a service to my queue.

Which connect type should be used on my queue at home or does it really matter?
Default WinINet is what my queue is set at present.

Last edited:
Yes it should have the http in front, but I would highly suggest using the IP instead so DNS failure is not a problem.

Back