• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanting to flash DD-WRT - Confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
So I was streaming a Hi-Def movie (MKV) to my PS3 with Playstation Media Server, and my wife decided that she wanted to download the trial version of Photoshop CS5. I noticed that while she was downloading, that my movie started to show signs that the network was getting a bit too busy to keep up with the video. I have a WRT54G V2.2, with stock firmware. I am starting to think, instead of spending the money on a new router, that I should give DD-WRT a try, since I have heard that it can handle more simultaneous connections than the stock firmware. So the first thing I do is start poking around for directions, and I start getting a little confused. I have someone telling me that I don't need to flash the mini version before flashing the full size, but the website is saying that I should. Also, when I check the router database, I get a message that says that this version works best with the VINT builds. So I start looking through the list of firmware that the site brings up when I put in the model and version number, and I get all of these different things, like VINTAGE : voip and things like that. I am really confused, because there was another page that I had seen looking around a bit, saying that the router is perfectly stable on the newest and Vintage builds.
DD-WRT wiki said:
The following chipsets can run both the normal (recommended- sometimes referred to as NEWD) and VINT builds.

* Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, WHR-G54S
* Linksys WRT54G v4.0
* Linksys WRT54GL 1.0 & 1.1
* All routers using Broadcom 5352 chipset
* All routers using Broadcom 4712 chipset (BCM4712) with wl0_corerev 5 or higher

As I am looking through the list of compatible firmware, I can't find a single one that says anything about being the normal build, only the VINT. Am I looking in the wrong place, or will I really be better off using the Vintage build? I am also a little confused about whether or not I really need to flash the mini version before I go any farther. I have read some posts around the net where it seems that people just flashed the full version and were fine, and I have read in the instructions, HERE, that I need to flash the mini first.:bang head

I may just end up changing all of my network to wireless N. I haven't really decided for sure on that, if I can still get some life out of this router I have now. Any suggestions?

Do you have access to wire one of the devices? maybe one is already currently wired? it seem's like you might just be tapping out the wireless transfer? If you don't like the directions for dd-wrt you could go with the alternative Tomato I think when I last flashed mine I went >>DDWRT mini>>DDWRT>>Tomato because I decided i was unhappy with DDWRT. about the older builds I am not sure comparing the spec's of your 2.2 to a 54GL @ wikipedia I would be inclined to say anything they suggest is ok for the GL is fine for yours, that is if they are different.

The list for the GL is much easier to see what you may want or need (probably mini web flash and standard generic) and it should work fine for you although for legal purposes you should probably be reminded that it may brick your router and to pursue at your own risk.

+1 for tomato. I did dd-wrt for a while but didn't like it. Tomato is as smooth as V8 juice.

I have the router, modem, and my main rig in my bedroom, everything else is in the living room. My network basically consists of 2 desktop computers, a laptop, a PS3, Wii, my wifes Ipod touch:rolleyes:, and 2 BlackBerry phones. I could run a cable from the PS3 to the router, but that would mean I have to run the cable around walls and through a doorway, which would make my wife very unhappy. If I were to run it through the wall, I am likely to make apartment management unhappy. Either way, running a cable is going to make someone unhappy, which is bad for me.

I have read that the wireless problems improved dramatically by switching from the Linksys firmware to DD-WRT or Tomato, and I figured I would give that a try before switching to N. If I were to switch to an N network, I would have to switch a wireless card in one desktop, possibly the laptop (even though it wouldn't likely make a difference:p), and add a wireless bridge to the PS3. The BlackBerry's, Wii, and Ipod won't likely do N, and I honestly don't think they need it. Sadly, the PS3, Wii, and one desktop have to be wireless considering my circumstances, otherwise it would all be wired.

I meant wire it up to simply see if that fixes the issue, poor clarity on that statement. Anyways on an additional note and I'm not sure which setup I was running at that time as it was awhile ago and over the last year or two I have bounced from smootwall&wrt54g with ddwrt as an AP to smoothwall with belkin as AP to just a wrt54gl running tomato and the last time I attempted to play a 1.5gb file over wireless to the ps3 it had stuttering issues. However I solved my issue the impatient way, my portable hdd. My hunch is that it's still a saturation issue however with some reading one of these two firmwares should allow you to throttle intranetwork traffic although this could also result in an unhappy wife if her net gets slow when you're watching movies.

Anyways that's about the extent of my wireless knowledge and although not much hopefully atleast the info about firmware flashing is helpful. Goodluck and hopefully the custom firmware fixes ya up :)

So I was streaming a Hi-Def movie (MKV) to my PS3 with Playstation Media Server, and my wife decided that she wanted to download the trial version of Photoshop CS5. I noticed that while she was downloading, that my movie started to show signs that the network was getting a bit too busy to keep up with the video. I have a WRT54G V2.2, with stock firmware. I am starting to think, instead of spending the money on a new router, that I should give DD-WRT a try, since I have heard that it can handle more simultaneous connections than the stock firmware. So the first thing I do is start poking around for directions, and I start getting a little confused. I have someone telling me that I don't need to flash the mini version before flashing the full size, but the website is saying that I should. Also, when I check the router database, I get a message that says that this version works best with the VINT builds. So I start looking through the list of firmware that the site brings up when I put in the model and version number, and I get all of these different things, like VINTAGE : voip and things like that. I am really confused, because there was another page that I had seen looking around a bit, saying that the router is perfectly stable on the newest and Vintage builds.

As I am looking through the list of compatible firmware, I can't find a single one that says anything about being the normal build, only the VINT. Am I looking in the wrong place, or will I really be better off using the Vintage build? I am also a little confused about whether or not I really need to flash the mini version before I go any farther. I have read some posts around the net where it seems that people just flashed the full version and were fine, and I have read in the instructions, HERE, that I need to flash the mini first.:bang head

I may just end up changing all of my network to wireless N. I haven't really decided for sure on that, if I can still get some life out of this router I have now. Any suggestions?

You want to go to the dd-wrt forums, broadcom sub forum and find the Peacock Thread-FAQ: EVERYTHING you NEED to know! Really!! thread. Look for the recommended firware.

That being said I switched over to tomato after I made sure there were no limitations with my internet needs. I am not a networking techie and tomato while still confusing was much simpler. One thing about tomato I dont like is there is a extreme lack of info on setup and dd-wrt has more than you'll ever be able to read.

You just flash the mini for initial flash to DD-WRT and then you move to the STD Generic and proceed with your router setup.

since I have heard that it can handle more simultaneous connections than the stock firmware.

I was reading a review on a site that basically debunked that DD-WRT is so much faster and better that in the end the only thing it really offers is just more options like VPN and other settings, that raw performance for bandwidth, it gives no difference from stock firmware.

wireless +HD content dont mix well together, especially if it is 1080, i cant do 720p smooth with only my ps3 on wireless.

You just flash the mini for initial flash to DD-WRT and then you move to the STD Generic and proceed with your router setup.

I think this is exactly what I was looking for. The directions I was seeing sounded a little confusing, but mostly because I was hearing multiple things about how to set it up.:thup:

I was reading a review on a site that basically debunked that DD-WRT is so much faster and better that in the end the only thing it really offers is just more options like VPN and other settings, that raw performance for bandwidth, it gives no difference from stock firmware.

wireless +HD content dont mix well together, especially if it is 1080, i cant do 720p smooth with only my ps3 on wireless.

Any chance you have linky? I would be interested to read it. I have heard a lot of other people saying they have seen huge improvements with wireless after flashing DD-WRT, but if there is something out there that can prove that wrong, with actual evidence, I may just rethink the whole idea.

I haven't had any troubles streaming 720p to my PS3, as long as someone isn't downloading over wireless. I would assume, given that particular circumstance, that 720p pretty much maxes out the wireless G bandwidth, and I could probably actually fix it with QoS. Either that, or it's just a fluke that I am not seeing another part of. If my rig (wired) can download something without affecting it any, I would guess it just has something to do with the wireless saturation that was mentioned before.

Back