• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling a dfi nf4-sli-dr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No.

Consiering the top of line Manufactured CPU WB the new Swiftech Storm (licensed form Cathar) is around $75, I would say a chipset block running $70 is not worth it. Thats just my opinion though.

If you really want to spend that much on a chipset block, go for it.

hum well the way im looking at it is the vid card is the the hottest on a system so i would call it the weekest link. so i would want ot cool all my other components before the vid card because of this. i also feal that if your pc is running for a day or to ya it will even out as you say but in a hour game session i dont feal it would.

learn me some thing jas

It will reach equilibrium very quickly actually. How fast depends on the system, but generally in just a couple minutes of reaching full load.

What is more critical is keeping pressure loss to a minimum (pressure loss translates directly to flow loss). Part of this includes routing your tubing in the shortest, most strait forward manner possible with the least amount of radical bends. This is where component order can come into play.

Depending on your setup, it may make more sense to go directly to the cpu form the pump, or to the GPU to the CPU, or any other number of combonations. Water is liek a heat sponge, it soaks up allot of heat, a few components in serries aren't going to see much of a temp difference due to the tempurature of the water.

for anyone who has the board, how bad is the whine from the chipset fan. Every other fan in my case will be 120mm (panaflow) so while it wont be quite it will be more of a air moving sound that a high pitched whine, if the fan noise is realy bad I may go with the lunaforce

Dfi-Boy said:
hum well the way im looking at it is the vid card is the the hottest on a system so i would call it the weekest link. so i would want ot cool all my other components before the vid card because of this. i also feal that if your pc is running for a day or to ya it will even out as you say but in a hour game session i dont feal it would.

learn me some thing jas

Before I was just cooling the CPU then later added a GPU block. In doing so my temps went up maybe at most .5c to 1C. I'm cooling my GPU first and my CPU second. As Jas has stated many times cooling order really means nothing. Water doesn't stay in one place long enoguh to heat up to much. Best bet is to run your tubing which ever way is easier for you.

not going sli (at least in the begining) as build is going to be over 3 before that and there are limits to what i want to spend, also one 7800gtx should be sufficient for the time being. Someone on dfi street suggested that a koolance chipset cooler might work. How bady would that hurt the flow considering its 1/4 and the rest should be 1/2?

Hey jkresh,

You can water cool your NB with DD Maze4 Chipset block if you don't plan on using SLI in your setup. I just did this with my system. I have a DFI Ultra-D (moded to SLI) but I am only using one GPU. (6800GT) I moved the jumpers on the board to use the second PCIe slot and put the MAZE4 on the chipset. Works like a champ.

Check out some pics at: http://www.cgossett.com/pictures/computer/

This one really shows the MAZE4 chipset block and the DD TDX on the CPU. Notice the GPU in the second slot. http://www.cgossett.com/pictures/computer/target6.html

If I ever do want to go with a true SLI setup, I will have to re-think this, but for now, and the fact that I don't have another 400 bucks for another 6800GT, I will stick with one graphics card...

I do like the fact that I don't hear the loud Chipset fan anymore.

cheers

corb

interesting solution corban, I thought their was a performance issue if you only used the second pcie graphics slot?

Dfi-Boy said:
too hot for my tast

You're using stock cooling and you're not even overclocking.... As for watercooling, it will reach a balance since water has excellent thermal conductivity.
Your image was in violation of the rules, I've removed it for you. -eobard

I can barely understand you and your typing. As for the GPU producing more heat than the CPU, you're wrong. A Pentium 4 Extreme Edition can reach over 115w at stock while a 6800ultra at stock speeds puts out 72w.

-1cem4n

SewerBeing said:
Dfi-Boy: http://www.overclockers.com/articles1088/ please read that it explains your issue very well.

corban: I like that solution a lot.

jkresh: in pure theory yes that second slot only uses 8 pci-express lanes, however in sli both slots are at 8 lanes. In a normal single card setup you get 16 lanes. However there is no real world performance loss.

So it really wouldn't matter, good news then. Methinks I'll go order a Maze4 Chipset Block, not like I can ever afford to go SLI anyways.

I was under the impression then it was more then the 8 lanes vs 16, that the boards werent meant to have the primary adapter in the second slot, though I could be wrong.

When not in the SLI mode, the first PCIe slot is using 16 lanes, and the second one is only at 2. When in SLI mode, both PCIe slots are set to 8 lanes. So your are getting as much throughput as you would for an SLI setup. This is plenty of room for a single card. I did not notice an slowdown with my 6800gt in the second slot.

cheers

corb

I picked this up on another forum...

I hope it helps...

corb

--------------------------------------
Nope. You will never get X16 out of the second PCIe slot. The best you can get is X8 for each slot when you move the jumpers. There are only 20 PCIe lanes available on the nVidia nF4 chipset.

Not sure why you would worry about X16 in the second slot since the biggest baddest video card available barely fills 6 lanes with data and the new graphics chips won't use much more than 6 lanes of bandwidth.

Corban
So you are running with the motherboard in SLI mode but only one card? Interesting that, that actualy works. Would have expected it to try to detect a card in the primary slot and give an eror if it didnt find one.

1cem4n said:
You're using stock cooling and you're not even overclocking.... As for watercooling, it will reach a balance since water has excellent thermal conductivity.
Your image was in violation of the rules, I've removed it for you. -eobard

I can barely understand you and your typing. As for the GPU producing more heat than the CPU, you're wrong. A Pentium 4 Extreme Edition can reach over 115w at stock while a 6800ultra at stock speeds puts out 72w.

-1cem4n

hum last i checked none of my air cooling was stock... i see that respecting the forum rules is a two was street -eobard

Last edited by a moderator:
A 6800gt is pretty much a rebadged 6800ultra. I'm pretty sure you're not overclocking either and I was using a P4 Extreme as an idea of how much heat CPUs put out. What heatsink do you have?

-1cem4n

1cem4n said:
A 6800gt is pretty much a rebadged 6800ultra. I'm pretty sure you're not overclocking either and I was using a P4 Extreme as an idea of how much heat CPUs put out. What heatsink do you have?

-1cem4n

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106036

this was my first cooler it was ran with 2 80mm fans and a duct venting out the back of the case

now http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1104410&CatId=0

and its running 2 80mm fans

Back