• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

Hi, im building a new system but am far from an expert lol :(

I certainly havent touched any watercooling yet :/ but believe it is highly superior to fans.

So what im looking for is a relatively simple system but very effective.

My budget is just over £200 if you want it in terms of $ then just under $400

lower price ofc is more preferable

Now the reason why i need a prty good cooling system

this is what ill be running

AMD FX-55
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200XL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-050-CS)
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-011-DF)
2xLeadtek GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) (GX-049-LT)
Plextor PX-130A 16x50x DVD-ROM - (Black) Bulk (CD-026-PL)
OCZ PowerStream 520w ATX2.2 Power Supply (CA-011-OC)
Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-007-WD)

the case is uncertain atm so if anyone has any adice for that im all ears although I do not wish to spend over £100 on it and preferably alot less than this as well

Thnx

Richard

Nice rig. :) Take a look around here to get an idea of what you want. You should be be able to cobble together a fine WCer for less than $400. If you have any specific questions just ask.

In general you need:

1. A CPU block
2. Tubing + clamps for every connection
3. A pump
4. A dissipater of some type

Optionally:

1. Blocks for the other things you want to WC

Some other good sources for WC hardware:

Cooltechnica
SNT
SVC
FCPU

Great articles on specifics:

Overclockers

Thanx for those links ill go read through them tonight if I have time.

Iv glance around some pages this afternoon and was wondering how do systems like the following compare to other systems?
Zalman Reserator 1 Fanless Water Cooling System (WC-000-ZA)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Others.html

im sry if these are very noob questions i admit i know nothing atm, good job iv got 2 months 2 learn b4 I go buying lol.

Right off to my java lab now :D

Richard

Here is my first piece of advice:

It looks to me like your video cards have more processing power than any of my COMPUTERS, and probably cost a bit more- don't rush the water cooling system.
You have some expensive, hot-running stuff there and a water cooling system that is not up to the task will be a waste of time and money.

I would also ask if your plan is to water cool the video cards and chipset of the board; if so you will lose a bit of simplicity in the system but gain performance. (That performance can be reflected in low noise or lower temps, up to you.)

I am a cheap man, so in those situations where my little experiments have failed catastrophically (a few) and killed a system it has maybe cost me $150 for mobo and cpu and ram. I don't think you even HAVE anything that cheap in your system! lol.

Please note that I am NOT trying to scare you off water cooling, just suggesting that you take your time and be careful in the parts you choose and building the cooling system.

A Koolance or Zalman ain't gonna do it, methinks. ;)

If you're looking for generic products that have been tested and reviewed with high results I would recommend the following.

CPU BLOCK: Swiftech MCW6002 (if you are running a low pressure pump).
Swiftech MCW6000 (if you are running a high pressure pump which is anything equal to or greater than 300 gph)
GPU BLOCK: DangerDen maze 4 there are new ones out there that are specially made for sli chips so look for those.
Pump: Swiftech MCP 600 v2.0 (good pump for the 6002 block)/
Swiftech MCP 650 inline 12v 330gph pump (good pump for the 6000 block since it flows much more than the 600)
Radiator: If you plan on cooling both the video cards I suggest getting the HW Labs Black Ice *BLACK XTREME-2. Or maybe getting an actual car radiator core (not sure about the specific years tho you should check those)
also you will need 1/2" tubing along with hose clamps and little things like that.

hmm rogerdugans you talk about my worry about water cooling just im aware that to get decent fan cooling requires quite a large amount of sound.

To make it simpler would I be able to combime the ThermalRight XP-120 for the cpu with a simple water cooling for the videocards?

Im not buying both the cards at once and when I 1st get the system I doubt very much I will o/c much. So If I use the ThernalRight for the processor and leave the card up to its own devices (ofc a well ventalated case) then when I get the 2nd video card get myself some water cooling.

would this simplify the system?

ALAND911 thnx for that list :D ill look into them in abit more depth

Now is the time for me to tell you just how outdated I am. ;)
My fastest chips are Athlon XP 2200s, my best video card just died (RIP) and was a GF4 Ti4400.

I have no clue what parts will work on the sli video cards, nor even how the cards would look in a system.
I have no idea how much heat they or the cpu will put out.
I haven't bought a water pump in two years.
I haven't bought a block in a year.

All this adds up to me being very little help on specifics for you, but there are others here who are more up to date.

I cruise through this section fairly often, so I'll try and chime in when I have something to add though. :)

Here is a good shop for you.

www.coolercases.co.uk

I'm assuming since you are talking about prices in terms of pounds that ordering from a US store might not yeild the best shipping prices. ;)

Cooler Cases offers big tube "American" style water cooling parts from the likes of Danger Den and D-tek.

i'm not sure fi you can get ahold of all of these parts over in the UK, but i'll list them anyways for now

D-Tek WhiteWater CPU Block (universal top) or Swiftech 6002-64 CPU block

2x Danger Den Maze4 GPU blocks (low-profile (SLI) acetal top)

Thermochill 120.2 or 120.3 (if you can find a place to put it)

D4 Laing Pump (possibly 2 in series due to the size of the loop)

15 feet Clearflex60 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD (1/8" wall) tubing

T & Y fittings (1/2") (Y only for whitewater)

hose clamps of sorts (i'd suggest SS worm drive clamps)

3x or 6x 120mm fans of your choice (possibly fan controller as well)

and for a case, if you wanted to fit the thermochill 120.3 into the case, i'd suggest the Lian-Li PC-70 or PC-75 full tower case - i personally have a PC-75B, its HUGE, and i have a BIXIII (similar to 120.3) mounted inside it - i love it, but i have a new case (cube) on its way to me for my next project :thup:

Back