• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Veterans - Wanna Help Me With My WC Case Layout?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Deathknight said:
The temps in your loop will be fairly constant, the order of the loop will have little bearing on this. However the Storm is a jet impingment block. If possible you want to have this following the pump to keep pressure into the block as high as possible.

what do you mean by jet impingment?

Qubix said:
Wouldn't the pressure be the same no matter what point in the loop since for the pump to push the water at X speed it has to suck at the same speed.

No. I think you are thinking about flow rate. Pressure is the most right after the pump and if you are using a Storm block you want LOTS of pressure to make it work as efficiently as possible.

s002wjh said:
what do you mean by jet impingment?

Water gets forced through some slots or something if I remember correctly. This type of block works well with lots of pressure. Normal blocks just have water flowing over some raised areas.

It puzzles me when I see so many people running their Storm CPU block after their radiator based on the information I've read about the Storm.

Alien1099 said:
That's right.

Hopefully I'll be able to have it finished up Friday night. I'm going to pick up some Engine Ice today or tomorrow after work for coolant and I'll be set. I'll try and get some pics up this weekend. :cool:

Why use Engine Ice for coolant? Water is just about as good as it gets for efficiency. Engine Ice is Propylene Glycol Base Engine Coolant. This will only hurt your temps. Water Wetter is about the only addative that will impove temps by getting rid of surface tension in the water.

Last edited:
Bender said:
Why use Engine Ice for coolant? Water is just about as good as it gets for efficiency. Engine Ice is Propylene Glycol Base Engine Coolant. This will only hurt your temps. Water Wetter is about the only addative that will impove temps by getting rid of surface tension in the water.

Hmmmm mostly I just want the blue color. I've heard reports that it was better than water though so I figured I'd use it. Is it really not as good?

If it's not I'll go pickup some Pentosin anti freeze and run 90/10 or 80/20.

Unless you have aluminum in the loop the ratio should be 95/5 or less.
The purer the water, the better.
Basically, all you're using the additive for is an algae/bateriocide, not to prevent galvanic interaction or freezing.

clocker2 said:
Unless you have aluminum in the loop the ratio should be 95/5 or less.
The purer the water, the better.
Basically, all you're using the additive for is an algae/bateriocide, not to prevent galvanic interaction or freezing.

Well the CPU and GPU block bases are copper and the fancy res I ordered has aluminum so I am stuck using anti-freeze. :( There are a couple of places near by that sell the blue anti-freeze for VWs and Audis so I may just pick some of that up instead of Engine Ice. The only problem is they only sell it in 1 gallon quantities for about $20 but Engine Ice is also $20 for a half gallon! :eek:. I would really like to have a deep blue color for the water in my loop which is why I was wanting to go with engine ice. I just don't know if I want to buy that and dilute it or go with the blue antifreeze and use that heavily diluted. :shrug:

Back