• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waterblock EK for custom GTX 1080 compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxNAPxx

Hello guys, my current GPU is a GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 Gaming and recently had an issue with it and probably need to buy a new one, since I recently purchased an EK waterblock specifically intended to liquid cooling it, I would like to know in case a purchase an RTX 2080 from the same brand if it would be compatible with it.

My current GPU

Gigabyte gtx 1080 g1 gaming

My waterblock
EK Water Blocks ek-fc1080*GTX G1

My new card
Gigabyte GPU NV RTX2080 Windforce 8G*

I attached some pictures of the products too 81duqfpl10L._AC_SL1500_.jpeg 41Dm0GHpCDL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg 61xRB26TybL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg

It's a custom pcb....so only if the one you choose has the same PCB. Why not just rma and get the same thing? Or get the same thing regardless.

Definitely no 1080 block will work on any 2080. It almost sounds like you did not use the waterblock. Can you return it?

Well I used it but for 2 days before the accident happened so I was wondering if buying the same model from the same brand but 2080, I was abke to install it on the new card too, I don't think I can return it, too long has passed already, I could only sell it. Honestly don't think buying the same card is a good idea, once I change card it's better to get a new generation one, so or I'm able to RMA it, or I buy a new rtx, no chance at all to install this WB on the 2080 gaming?

You could always contact Gigabyte and ask them, but the odds of every choke, mosfet, GDDR etc being in exactly the same spot...much less even the GPU core being the same size and in the same spot. It's a lot of a stretch for a completely different card.

your only hope is to get the 1080 rmaed and use the block on the replacement. the 1080 block wont work with the 2080 gpu. what happened to the 1080?

Heck, the EK water block for a RTX 2080 won't even fit on a RTX 2080 Ti, so you know a 1080 block won't work. Also, the EK full size blocks generally will only fit reference cards and not custom PCB.

Back