• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling X79 Chipset = higher base clock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eduncan911

I'm posting this in the Intel motherboard forum because this question is more about increasing the base clock of the Intel X79 chipsets.

If you watercool the chipset, (or whatever is left of the "Northbridge/Southbridge" since they move most Controller Hubs onto the CPU die itself), can you increase the base block significantly?

I know the P67/Z68/X79/Z77/etc chipsets now operate off of a 100 Mhz base clock that you aren't supposed to "touch".

But, uh, I want to "touch it". :nuts:

I am having custom watercooling blocks made for my ASRock X79 Fatal1ty board, mainly for the voltage regulators (VR) cause I can get an extra 300 Mhz out of the CPU overclock if I place a fan directly over the VRs. That indicates to me that they could stand for better cooling, and that's what I am doing.

So my question here centers around the base clock of 100 Mhz. Can I expect to increase this by watercooling that chipset area?

Or, do I just leave the base clock alone and be like everyone else? (I am not like everyone else, and it pains me to think that way! heheh).

I seriously doubt it. It's worth a shot.

Play with the bclk by all means, PCH cooling hasn't ever been crucial to bclk like NB cooling was to FSB.

Back