• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird gfx problem. Any clues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ola

Registered
My computer is having gfx problems and I hope you can help me figure out what's wrong.

The setup is the following:

NF7-S
Barton 2500+ with Arctic Cooler Copper Silent TC
Radeon 9500np with Zalman heatpipe cooler
2x256MB PC3200 TwinMOS/Winbond

I had the CPU at 200x10@1,65V and the temp was perhaps a bit high, around 50C. I have been folding for several days in a row and the temp stays at a solid 50C or so.

When I was playing BF42 I suddenly got weird purple squares on the textures. The gfx cooler was no hotter than usual and the problems didn't go away after cooling down.

When I shut down BF42, I saw that I got som artifacts in ICQ, pink stripes on some of the buttons.

I've tried reinstalling everything, including Windows (XP pro) but as soon as I install the ATI drivers, the problems come back.

When I went into BIOS to reset the CPU to default, I saw that default is now listed as XP3200+

So, have I fried some gfx-handling part of the CPU that wasn't active when I checked the temps after folding?

Below are two pictures of the gfx-artifacts:

Any tips are appreciated.

/Ola

discolouredICQ.jpg

purpleSquares.jpg

Do this test... Return your rig to stock 11x166 and rerun the graphics tests and see if the artifacts are still present. If they still happen, then the graphics card is likely at fault. Try increasing your AGP voltage.

If they are gone, then increase you core clock to close to 2.0GHz using multiplier only. Test for the artifacts again. If they are still there, then your cpu is somehow at fault (not very likely if you are running stable).

If the artifacts still have not reappeared, then go back to your 10x200 setting but increase the northbridge voltage. Test for the artifacts again.

Stock speed and voltages - still got artifacts
Increased AGP voltage - still got artifacts
Increased chipset voltage - still got artifacts
200x10 - yep, still got artifacts

Sounds like an obvious case of toasted gfx card but what's got me confsed is the BIOS suddenly reporting the CPU as XP3200+

Any other ideas?

XP 3200+ is 10x200... If the bios sees Model 10 = "barton" and 10x200 it might get tricked into thinking you have a 3200+ barton.

On the graphics card, is there any cooling on the ram?

Back