• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What card should i look into help update this setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After thinking about it. I decided I'm gonna go with the gtx 460 because its the best for its price range at 1/3 the costs over the 6870. However im not sure if i want the MSI ,EVGA or Gigabyte brand.

The gigabyte is 100 bucks with MIR (probably what im gonna go with because I'm going for lowest cost with most output) but the MSI brand seems like better quality fans and clocking values. Its 128$ with MIR and the EVGA is 115$. Just dont see how its worth 30 bucks more for it unless gigabyte is poor quality. Any opinions on Gigabyte products over evga or msi?

Gigabyte 460
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125412

MSI 460

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127646

Oh and the 460 uses two 6 pin pci-e power connectors so that is 5 more bucks for that. My psu has two 6 pin hubs on it though, so thats cool.

There's been thousands and thousands of posts about NVIDIA vs AMD, and for all intents and purposes they're equal. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. You just have to look at your specific price point and see which one has the card that's higher performing.

Gotcha, so its basically the old coke vs. pepsi type of debate. makes sense i guess. although coming from the novice standpoint the sli and crossfire features seem like a bit of a scam or marketing ploy by giving people incentive to buy two of the SAME thing. Anywho ill chime back in later for a update. :cool:

I would purchase the Gigabyte it's better and has a 3 year warranty, compared with MSI only has 2 year warranty.

You don't need a receipt with Gigabytes warranty it's done by serial number.

Gotcha, so its basically the old coke vs. pepsi type of debate. makes sense i guess. although coming from the novice standpoint the sli and crossfire features seem like a bit of a scam or marketing ploy by giving people incentive to buy two of the SAME thing. Anywho ill chime back in later for a update. :cool:

Two of the same thing for a 70-90% boost in performance, also saving you the loss you would make selling your old card used?

SLI and CrossfireX, from an economic standpoint, gives you the biggest performance gain for the cost out of any graphical upgrade.

SLI and Crossfire work, however there seems to be some complaints about one card dropping out sometimes and some games don't scale well meaning you might not get 70-90% performance also some games can micro stutter.

Allot of people like SLI and Crossfire so that's the low down.

Here is a good link to look at. http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516

Yeah, 90% is the ideal scenario, only achievable with cards that scale exceptionally well in SLI.

However...the only card I've seen get up to 90% in SLI is the GTX460, so you just might be in luck. :p

I would purchase the Gigabyte it's better and has a 3 year warranty, compared with MSI only has 2 year warranty.

You don't need a receipt with Gigabytes warranty it's done by serial number.

True, one more reason to go with gigabyte. Didnt think of that yet. Pretty much seals it on the value aspect. :thup:

Two of the same thing for a 70-90% boost in performance, also saving you the loss you would make selling your old card used?

SLI and CrossfireX, from an economic standpoint, gives you the biggest performance gain for the cost out of any graphical upgrade.

Yeah it sorta makes sense to have two mediocre cards as opposed to one beast of card considering the high end cards seem a little pricey. And i realize you can implement two high end cards as well, which seems awesome. If you got the cash that is.

My cynical mind makes me think the design was implemented knowing that it would increase profit by a great deal. Especially, if you were wanting to SLI a gtx 670. Thats a **** ton of cash for just graphics cards. Anyways was just a naive, if not a moot point.

Back