• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Chipset Cooler to buy, Board has no through holes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

My friend's Abit IS7 board's chipset fan is on it's last leg (Horrid screeching from the fan). The HSF is held down by a holddown clip, it has no through holes. What Chipset cooler should I go with? I would think that one of the Zalman passives would work, since the holddown wire would go between the fins. But would 865PE chipset be fine on passive cooling?

jivetrky said:
My friend's Abit IS7 board's chipset fan is on it's last leg (Horrid screeching from the fan). The HSF is held down by a holddown clip, it has no through holes. What Chipset cooler should I go with? I would think that one of the Zalman passives would work, since the holddown wire would go between the fins. But would 865PE chipset be fine on passive cooling?

i have a gigabye 865PE chipset board... i run this zalman hs

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=71&code=014

without ANY problems.... all ya need is a little bit of airflow over it and it cools it flawlessly...

i can imagine that their new chipset cooler works even better than the one i have...

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=200&code=014

Heck on my server righ that has an Abit IC7-G and a 875 chip set i took an old socket 370 hs and a thick metal coat hanger and put it on the board and run it todally passive.... been like that for over 6 months... and its been on for that 6months STRAIGHT with constant load.

nd4spdbh2 said:
i have a gigabye 865PE chipset board... i run this zalman hs

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=71&code=014

without ANY problems.... all ya need is a little bit of airflow over it and it cools it flawlessly...

i can imagine that their new chipset cooler works even better than the one i have...

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=200&code=014

Heck on my server righ that has an Abit IC7-G and a 875 chip set i took an old socket 370 hs and a thick metal coat hanger and put it on the board and run it todally passive.... been like that for over 6 months... and its been on for that 6months STRAIGHT with constant load.

Only problem with this one is that it only works with through holes. I guess I could try either reusing the holddown clip on the current HSF, or I could try the ole coat hanger as you are using on the IC7-G

You can just use a bit of superglue or thermal tape to keep the HS in place. You don't really need to use the clips or holddown.

Abit NB fans are notorious for failing early and often. Getting rid of that fan (or any other small fan on the NB that requires high speed to move any air) was one of the four best things I did to reduce my PC's noise.

A passive NB heatsink works fine on these boards if you've got some airflow from the CPU HSF like a Zalman CNPS 7000 or Thermalright XP/SI-120. They won't work as well with a tower-type CPU HSF.

Some have had success by just removing the fan from the stock NB HS. I'm using a Zalman NB47J, attached to the wire loops with a bicycle spoke bent to fit - its been working great for almost two years. Unfortunately, the wire assembly from the stock NB HSF is not adaptable to aftermarket heatsinks.

There are are several high performance passive coolers that now include the wire loop mounting provisions - Zalman NBF47 and Thermalright HR-05. Be sure to clean off the original "bubble gum" thermal pad and use the thermal grease included with the new heatsink or Arctic Silver Ceramique (good when there are exposed components nearby).

I'm in the same boat as jivetrky's friend. I have a MSi K8N Neo-2 Platinum and my chipset cooler is on it's last legs :cry: . The thing is my graphics sits in front of my cooler so space is very limited; I think there's 1.5cm space between mobo and card. What cooler would you recommend? The current cooler is mounted using the through hole method.

the_cultie said:
I'm in the same boat as jivetrky's friend. I have a MSi K8N Neo-2 Platinum and my chipset cooler is on it's last legs :cry: . The thing is my graphics sits in front of my cooler so space is very limited; I think there's 1.5cm space between mobo and card. What cooler would you recommend? The current cooler is mounted using the through hole method.
Looks like you'd have room for anything...

1099027437DQDXhU9bbR_1_4_l.jpg

If you really do need something offset (as in us DFI NF4 board users) you should check out this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=197&products_id=4638

I just got one for my SLI-D and the thing is pretty much silent, while doing a great job cooling the 1.7v chipset voltage.

This one looks cool too: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=197&products_id=20676

dfrost said:
Abit NB fans are notorious for failing early and often. Getting rid of that fan (or any other small fan on the NB that requires high speed to move any air) was one of the four best things I did to reduce my PC's noise.

A passive NB heatsink works fine on these boards if you've got some airflow from the CPU HSF like a Zalman CNPS 7000 or Thermalright XP/SI-120. They won't work as well with a tower-type CPU HSF.

Some have had success by just removing the fan from the stock NB HS. I'm using a Zalman NB47J, attached to the wire loops with a bicycle spoke bent to fit - its been working great for almost two years. Unfortunately, the wire assembly from the stock NB HSF is not adaptable to aftermarket heatsinks.

There are are several high performance passive coolers that now include the wire loop mounting provisions - Zalman NBF47 and Thermalright HR-05. Be sure to clean off the original "bubble gum" thermal pad and use the thermal grease included with the new heatsink or Arctic Silver Ceramique (good when there are exposed components nearby).

Hmmm...I think i might go with the Zalman NBF47 .....reviews show it has great performance and it's pretty cheap! Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't say "have room for anything..." as I have a 7800GS and the cooler comes close to the end of the card so it blocks it a bit.

Back