• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think, some help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AllShallPerish

Hi there, im looking to buy a new rig to overclock, i know exactly what i want from it, jsut now sure what parts to buy for it. I was thinking about getting this for deffo.

CPU - Core2Duo E8400 (Wanting 4.0GHz)
Mobo - Asus Ramage Formula
Case - Antec 900
PSU - Thermal ToughPower 750W
Cooling - Thermalright True Black 120(What fans to get for it?, wantin to run 2)

Now this is what i know i want, but im not sure what ram to get, or if this motherboard is really needed to get the 4Ghz overclock, i know that i want an Asus motherboard that has Crossfire. I will for now be running my X1950XT crossfire setup with this overclock. I know i want at least 4Ghz, anything more would be a bonus.. I dont know if i shoul go with DDR-2 800 or 1066? Or what make/model overclocks the best, anyone with any suggestions would help a lot as ive only overclocked one system before, my current one

CPU - AMD x2 4200+ (@2.8Ghz)
Mobo - Asus A8R32 MVP Deluxe
Ram - Corsair XMS DDR 400 (@DDR 466 Rev 2.1 hold me back on this)
PSU - Corsair VX 550W PSU
Case - XClio Proppelor
Cooling - Artic Pro

And it stable running 24/7, im not bothered about doing anything else with this system tho, really just looking for the best information to build my new one before i waste money on something crap.

First of all, :welcome: to the forums.

Second of all, that motherboard is certainly not needed to get 4.0Ghz on that CPU. You would be fine with an Asus P5Q-pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

Your power supply is a good choice if you are going to be running two GPUs.

As for ram, that is mostly preference. Everyone will tell you what they think is best. You can do your research and try and find out what modules are in each type of ram. A lot of people have better luck overclocking one type over another. But DDR2 is so cheap right now anyway, I just say buy yourself a fast set and don't even worry about overclocking it that much. Personally, I've had the best luck with Corsair, Crucial, and G.Skill (my favorite). I've also hear a lot of good things about Mushkin, OCZ, and Kingston but I've never personally tried them. Patriot and A-Data are usually cheaper and not the best overclockers, but still reliable. Like a said, its cheap. Just get something fast with good reviews and you should be happy :)

I peronsally preffer Corsair ram, ive always used it along with Asus, its never let me down before, what do you think about this ram

Ram - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/2GB-...800)-240-Pins-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-4-4-4-12

Also the reason i was looking @ that motherboard is to possibly get a greater overclock that 4Ghz, i was hoping for a max of 4.3 as a target but i would be happy with 4Ghz. Would the P5 be able to handle that speed?

Do you have any suggestions on fans to use on the TRUE Black as it supports 2 fans which i would preffer to use to keep temps down a bit.

Back