• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHat is the best air cooling for overclocking????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JP_Singer

I am going to order a 2400+ and over clock it with my KX7-333R and pc2700 samsung and was wondering WHat might be the best fan and heatsink for overclocking this cpu????:beer:

Agreed on the Vantec...it's louder than the average, but it cools sooo nice! I use it with an AX-7, and my cpu temps are within 5-7C of ambient case temps under any circumstance (load or idle) when I clock anywhere from 1600Mhz-1800Mhz (1.7V-1.85V)...

Thanks guys!!! now who is selling these ThermalRight SLK800 with a Vantec Tornado 80mm fan?

I love my Ax-7 with vantec tornado combo. WARNING the vantec is really loud stock so I just use my antec true power to to auto adjust the speed of the fan. If you can keep your case temps good you really don't need the fan on max settings because it will drive you nuts after a month or so. With a high case temp 30c I had my xp1600@xp2100 at 43c max but with added case fans and a lowered 22-25c case temp my max is now 38c-39c and this is with the fan on lowered speeds. Had my comp on in my room for 2 weeks straight and it is so quiet I could sleep at night without the sound of a vacum going.

JP_Singer said:
Thanks guys!!! now who is selling these ThermalRight SLK800 with a Vantec Tornado 80mm fan?

You can get one here , its on sale btw so you're in luck.
Just click CPU Coolerst on the left bar, Thermalright coolers and then pick you SLK-800
I think that you can also choose a fan to go with it. remember to see if the fan has a 3 to 4 pin adapter to hook up to the PSU, some fans come w/ it included, some don't if u Vantec doesn't, then make sure to order one

Thermalright SLK-800 w/ Tornado or Delta 80CFM fan.

just check out the heatsink performance review over at the homepage.

i may be a bit late but i reccomend artic silver 3 and a coolermaster HHC-001 with heat pipes

mind you, i think i lucked out, the HHC-001 is supposed to have a 6800 rpm fan and mine for some reason runs 7945rpm =)

but i can say i havent seen a cpu temp over 54C no matter what ive done with overlclocking on both a Thunderbird 1400 (which i got to 1733 on with this heatsink) and a XP2100+ (which ive gotten to 2ghz with) both stable =)

sorry talyn but thats not even close to impressive.
if you take notice of the heatsink list here your heatsink cannot even touch a slk800.
cleary a good performer, but the question is "WHat is the best air cooling for overclocking????" and to that we respond in favor of the slk800

Originally posted by Talyn
...but i can say i havent seen a cpu temp over 54C no matter what ive done with overlclocking on both a Thunderbird 1400 (which i got to 1733 on with this heatsink) and a XP2100+ (which ive gotten to 2ghz with) both stable =)

What were your voltages that you were using on your processors? Just wondering why you feel that not getting over 54C was so good.

Thanks

Tipycol

1.975 vcore on both, and as for the article, well, dont know what to say there, as the article says a volcano 7+ is a better heatsink yet when i used it my CPU temps were 10c (yes celsuis) higher

with the thunderbird it wasa 333mhz overclock on almost 2v core, with the XP2100+ it was less MHZ (a 269mhzoverclock )

now you may like the SLK800 thats your choice but as i got the HHC-001 at OEM cost im quite pleased with it, and i have yet to see an SLK heatsink in *any* store in dallas texas

i never said the HHC-001 was the best i just said i recommend it because i have been extremely pleased with the results, and for 14 bucks it cant be beat price wise :D

ok now i feel like an idiot
my apologies tbirdkiri

i was giving my *opinion* on what i think is the best air-cooling heatsink based on what i have experienced, ive never seen any SLK heatsinks here in dallas, best one i have seen is either HHC-001 or the Volcano 7+, oddly the site says the 7+ is better but when i used it my cpu temps were actually higher than they were with the HHC-001, the SLK800 may indeed be better but as i havent seen one in a store so i can give it a test for myself i cant form an opinion of it

I havent got the chancee to see an SLK for myself so i was just giving my opinion in answer to the question, my apologies for mis-reading, but given what ive seen with the volcano 7+ it makes me wonder about the SLK, because i cant get my hands on one to compare it to the HHC-001 for myself so i can form an opinion on it

another odd thing- *all* of the volcano 7+ i have seen seem to have slightly bent fins (they lean towards one side) and ive seen this in several stores as well as my supplier, i dont beleive thats normal, but i could be wrong, if anyone does know if thats normal would you please let me know?

I prefer Swiftech MCX 462+, but that's just me.

The + is a big improvement over the one reviewed in the Overclockers.com heatsink roundup. The 462U isn't as good as the SLK-800, but the 462+ is even better then the SLK800. If you don't care about an extra $5 or so, the MCX462+ (make sure it's the plus!) is defenitely better.

http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=HS-009

:D It pwns the slk800

It's even factory lapped to 0.0003"

Last edited:
the sk-7 is 30 dollars at the heatsink factory and cools just the same or 3c hotter then the slk-800..... im parring it with my Tt Smart Case Fan II ill tell you how it goes

Based on the hsf performance review, the BEST HSF is the SLK-800 followed by the SK-7. I got the SK-7 w/ a Delta 80cfm fan and I'm running way below 30c at 1.92v. It's enabled me to o/c from 1880mhz to 1963mhz.

Granted that the SLK-800 is the No. 1 hs, I saved almost $20 (paid for my Delta 80) by going w/ the SK-7 and only gave up maybe 1-2c.

Back