• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHat kind of cooling for this CPU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I hear they can run fanless "Celeron 1.80A GHz".

Core Voltage
1.475V-1.525V

Thermal Guideline
59.1W

Thermal Spec
70°C

what do you's think ? anyways i wasnt going to run it fanless, i hear it supposed to be able to OC pretty well since its NW core, what do you figure i'd need to get 2.6Ghz or a bit more?

if you run fanless, you'll have to have good case air flowing and a HUGE passive heatsink such as the thermaltake sonic tower...... if you get a heatsink that can fit a 120mm fan you can put it on slow speed and it'll still cool effectively. and maybe you can add to electron chaser's sig moto and be a delta user!

Fanless is bad.
I end up with this conclusion, when we were working with my roommate on silencing his comp (celeron 400@450) to "I can't hear it" level. Initially it looked like 80mm Athlon XP cooler would do the job, but fins were aligned horizontally and it failed. 80mm fan running a few hundred rpm solved all problems.

Conclusion:
Fanless is bad and should be avoided. If you consider running your comp fanless, better get reasonable heatoink and ultra-silent fan. For example AC Freezer4 has pretty good performance and 77mm fan @ 1900RPM (or something like that). Get one, decrease fan speed to like 800-1000 RPM and it should be as audible as fanless, while having much better performance.

I'm running a Celeron M 1.6GHz with a Zalman heatsink (the original blooming crescent looking one) passively. The only fans in the system are in the PSU, the side panel and the back of the case all running at low speed. Haven't had any stability problems for normal use, though a marathon run of Prime95 reveals on hotter days the setup might not be so reliable. :/

ok thanks guys that answers my question, i dont really care about the noise anyways haha im sure my pedestal fan is gonna louder than any hsf :).

also what should i use inbetween the cpu/hsf, artic silver ? if so how much.

I don't really know much about Celeron's, had one back when the 733MHz was considered to be fast. It was an old Gateway system, and I was very worried about the warranty as I was fairly new to computers. Arctic Silver 5 is by far the best TIM that I have found. Is it an open die CPU? If so you should only need about a 1/2 a grain of uncooked rice sized bead. That is all I have used on my current AXP, and it is running very well that way.

deadlysyn said:
I don't really know much about Celeron's, had one back when the 733MHz was considered to be fast. It was an old Gateway system, and I was very worried about the warranty as I was fairly new to computers. Arctic Silver 5 is by far the best TIM that I have found. Is it an open die CPU? If so you should only need about a 1/2 a grain of uncooked rice sized bead. That is all I have used on my current AXP, and it is running very well that way.

nope its covered with the heat spreader :), thanks for the posts

Back