• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What RAC should I have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only AMD chips that were higher than my ~4350 RAC 1090T before my troubles began about two weeks ago (which at that time my 1090T was the highest-ranked single-physical-processor AMD chip on the entire Rosetta project) were Opteron server chips with multiple physical processors on a motherboard capable of supporting two or for CPUs. It was taking 12-24 Opteron cores to beat my 6 1090T cores @ 4.0 ghz.

The only AMD chips that were higher than my ~4350 RAC 1090T before my troubles began about two weeks ago (which at that time my 1090T was the highest-ranked single-physical-processor AMD chip on the entire Rosetta project) were Opteron server chips with multiple physical processors on a motherboard capable of supporting two or for CPUs. It was taking 12-24 Opteron cores to beat my 6 1090T cores @ 4.0 ghz.

Anything special about your setup? Like do you have a slimmed OS? I have made a few slimmed Win7's and XP's for when I have time to bench, but I use a OEM Win7 Ultimate x64 build for normal use. This is my main computer, so I have to use it quiet a bit, but Rosetta still runs nearly 100% while I use it and it stays on 24/7. I think I just need to be more patient. Folding is like a marathon and I am used to sprinting in benchmarks :sn:

Shouldn't we do something like:
Core [email protected]|20 days|1498.01RAC
C2D [email protected] |20 days|350.01RAC

That'd be nice but there are variables like how often the computer gets used, did it have 24/7 uptime without anything slowing, etc.

For right around $320, I can get a Motherboard, 1090T, or 2120, or 970BE, or i5-650. What would get me the most RAC? :)

I have 1090t and it runs about the same RAC as i5 750. Mind you 750 has 4 cores while 650 (all i5 6xx series and all of i3 as well) has only 2, plus hyperthreading isn't of much use in these case due to heavy CPU use so your result will be likely a bit lower than if you went for the 1090t.

It should improve it by 10-30% or so.

An i7 920 or 950 D0 with Hyperthreading enabled and crunching 100% 24/7 will yield significant improvements over just crunching with the native cores in my experience. I would say bob is pretty much on the money with a ~20-30%. You should see 4K+ RAC out of either processor.

My i3-550 is running 1500 and still climbing. I don't think that is so bad with 2+2ht. I did settle on the 1090 mostly because of cost over an 1100 with marginal oc ... To me the 1100 is just not worth the extra $30.. The only SB I could afford with the motherboard was the i3-2120. I am pretty sure the 1090 will be a bit higher in RAC the the 2120...

my 920 at 4GHz is about 4.5k with HT on.. not sure what it would be w/o

3.6-3.9K. About the same as my old Q9550 at 3.82GHz, with 12mb cache and 4GB of RAM.

My 950 topped 5K briefly after I cranked it up to 4.2GHz with HT enabled. It was mid spring though, and my room started to get a bit too hot so I had to idle it back to 4GHz after that.

Well as of this post I am up to 2.4k, and it seems to be increasing about 250 - 400 a day. Shouldn't be long before it's up to 4.5k or so.

Someone is going to have to teach me how to OC this 1090..... Not like the old days. I'm looking at this Athlon 64 X2 3800+ trying to figure out how, but I am totally lost ....lol

There is a lot in common with the overclocking of the 939 days, but there are a few new things to keep in mind, namely that your HyperTransport runs a lot faster and there is now a CPU-NB to factor into the equation.

You absolutely need to dive into Dolk's Phenom guide.

Someone is going to have to teach me how to OC this 1090..... Not like the old days. I'm looking at this Athlon 64 X2 3800+ trying to figure out how, but I am totally lost ....lol

Read Dolk's guide (link in my sig), it'll give you everything you need to know. I know you'll have a ton of fun oc'ing Thuban, it's almost too easy ;)

Will read that. Looks like Rosetta don't like me anymore. The stats removed me the the RAC list... I can find myself by total points, but RAC place is gone .... lmao.... I should be #20 :-(

I'm sure to get bumped out by you guys with better farms, but I've done pretty well holding within the top 10 RAC with my sissy farm of 939s!

And DJCorpse is holding a commanding 50 RAC lead if we went PC vs PC for his 930 vs my 920!

I think we all just need more disposable income so we can all buy sr2 farms!

Almost had something like that. I was planning on octo i5 2500k farm :comp:

but I got hit with a $3400 bill for something more important than inflating my epeen... er my credits.

Back