• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of improvement from a Northwood 3.2ghz to a C2D (or Q2D)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
kinda; the current standard is actually 800 meaning that the current ram chips being used by RAM module manufacturers are initially spec'ed by the RAM chip manufacturers at 800. RAM chip production techniques have improved over the life of DDR2 technology and as it has improved the standard specification has gone from [email protected] to the current [email protected] (and Micron will soon release 1066 to the general public).
In order for your ram to run @ at least a 1:1 ratio with the fsb (base clock to base clock) all you technically need right now is DDR2 533 but imo you should at least go with 800.

Hi,

So all the current chips need at most the DDR2 800 (including the newer E6X50 chips which run at 1333mhz fsb).

If I get more, it gives more room for OC'ing, but if I am not OC'ing, then 800 should be perfect for my needs.

The DDR 1066 (the new one) is an actual 800mhz ram? (DDR2 800 = 667mhz)?

There is plenty of processing activity to run the applications on the server, plus the file server usage itself.

800 does not equal 667. Yes, all that the 1333fsb CPUs will "need" is DDR2 667. I only suggest buying RAM rated at 800Mhz b/c that is the current standard. You will be fine with DDR2 667.

Last edited:
like i said... just grab a set of DDR2 800mhz kit... its more than you would ever need to run @ stock, but will give you more ram bandwidth, as well as more oc headroom if need be.

The real difference is:

The Pentium D use a 31-stage pipeline.
The Pentium 4 uses a 20-Stage pipline.
Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme use a 14-stage pipeline

Joeteck said:
The real difference is:

The Pentium D use a 31-stage pipeline.
The Pentium 4 uses a 20-Stage pipline.
Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme use a 14-stage pipeline

Could you elaborate on this please :)

emceepecks said:
Could you elaborate on this please :)

a real crude answer but, it takes 31 steps to get the same answer, vs 20, vs 14..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipeline_(computer)

The smaller the pipe line, the better compared with Intel.

AMD 64's have a 12 stage pipeline....

or 14 stages per clock cycle... 20, 31.... get it?

Like if you need to mow the lawn.... You need to mow, make a right turn, mow again, make a left turn, mow again and so on until its completed. , then empty the bag. Well, what if you could mow the lawn in one step, then empty the bag. That would be a two stage pipeline to complete the task.. Mow, empty. Mow, Empty...

Trying to make it understandable....

The netburst aka: hyperthreading took out the majority of the Pentium 4 pipeline.

They did redesign the core 2 duo from the ground up, but removed netburst.

If I'm wrong (anyone) please correct me.

Last edited:
instead of gettin all techi and stuff... just think of it like this... the C2D smashes any intel chip before it...*cough* as well as anything amd has to offer *cough*... simple as that.

Back