• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of laptop do you perfer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What Type of Laptop Do You Prefer?

• Largest and most powerful laptop you can possibly find

Votes: 29 6.2%
  • 17" Gaming Machine

Votes: 62 13.3%
  • 17" Midrange

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • 17" Cheap low end

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 14-15" Multimedia Powerhouse

Votes: 113 24.3%
  • 14-15" Midrange

Votes: 91 19.6%
  • 14-15" Uber cheap low end (good battery life)

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • 12" Midrange

Votes: 27 5.8%
  • 12" Ultraportable

Votes: 36 7.7%
  • The smallest and most ultraportable laptop you can possibly find

Votes: 35 7.5%

• Total voters
Once you've had a 12" you wont want anything else. Laptops suck for gaming anyway, and ive tried it more then once. They were invented for portability and all the rest is just bullcrap on a stick. Mine weighs just under 1.5kgs and gives me 4 hrs battery life...it cracks me up when i see people in the train or other public places with those huge megaton acer crapbooks. They need to realise what they really need a laptop for.

I had a 17" lappy (dell i8600) and I loved it at first but it was quite heavy llugging around to college and for lans. After a while I decided that my next one would be actually portable so now I have a dell m1210 and i love it. Great for on the go media and Worm armageddon :burn:

Sjaak said:
Once you've had a 12" you wont want anything else. Laptops suck for gaming anyway, and ive tried it more then once. They were invented for portability and all the rest is just bullcrap on a stick. Mine weighs just under 1.5kgs and gives me 4 hrs battery life...it cracks me up when i see people in the train or other public places with those huge megaton acer crapbooks. They need to realise what they really need a laptop for.

Yep. Mine is 1.8kg, 12.1". Battery life sucks, but I could get the 6 cell battery, which would boost it to about 3hrs I think. Would also add about 0.1 to 0.2kg to the weight...
If I can't carry the laptop easily with one hand, it's too heavy.
I didn't realize how light laptops really could be. So many of them are 8lb or more. Sub 3.5lb laptops are something behold.

I prefer the most powerful 12" laptop I can get, currently it's the dell xps1210m. I don't game, but I do want dedicated graphics. the 1210 gives me a c2d cpu, 7400 gpu, 160gb hd, and vga-out, which I will use with my 20" lcd whenever I'm at home. plus it has like 5 hours of battery. best of both worlds imo. I'll be getting it as soon as I get the money to replace my aging desktop.

I currently have a 15 widesceen, but if I had to do it again, it would be a 12 or 13.3 with good battery life. I'm currently getting around 1.5 hours :bang head

I got a Thinkpad x60 with a dual core and a 12" screen. If I turn stuff down (proc, screen brightness, screen refresh rate) I can eek out over 10 hours out of my computer (word processing, web surfing would take it down to 7 or 8). I just like all the benefits of a small laptop, although I do wish I had a good enough vid card to play dod source while I was in class... or maybe it is a good thing I don't.

All of it depends on your lifestyle I guess.. I'm long since out of college and an avid gamer. I also use my laptop as a complete desktop replacement for work. Since I'm never far from an outlet, wireless internet, or having to take long strolls across campus with the machine, give me the fastest thing out there.
If I want to sit outside by my pool drinking beers and playing BF2 at high settings, or in the family room while watching the tv, or lounging around my study, all I need to do is take my laptop there (and an extention cord)... no desk or 2nd gaming rig required. I can play and work pretty much anywhere and anything that will run on a desktop.

infinitevalence said:
i will vote when you get the poll working:

but as for what kind i like:

not ultra portable but highly portable, under 5lbs 12-15" widescreen. dual core with no less than 5hrs of battery life.
this is exactly what I want for my next lappy. I'll probably get a Macbook Pro which is close to meeting these requirements.

I'm happy with my Compaq V3019US. When I first bought it I was concerned about graphics (GeForce 6150 LE) but it is fine. It's a 14.1" widescreen. Heat was a big concern for me because of the environments I am usually in, and I have to say in this regard it fares well. Upgraded ram from 1Gb to 2Gb. High definition audio was an added unexpected bonus.

I'm going for the biggest monster I can find. I already own two midrange laptops and they are good for general purpose use, but I find them both lacking in performance and battery life is not worth writing home about in either case. As far as I'm concerned, NO laptop exists that really offers 4+ hours of USEFUL battery life and therefore, I find myself always looking for an outlet regardless.

So, if I have to actually be productive with a laptop, I want the most powerful one I can afford--I just assume that I will use it as a desktop replacement.

Back