• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's my next step?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigdady75

This is my first attempt at overclocking so I need all the help I can get. I have a Biostar TA990FXE motherboard, Corsair Dominator GT memory (2000 Mhz), an AMD FX-4170 cpu, and a Corsair H100 water cooling system. So far I have only done the obvious and upped the multiplier a bit to get to 4.8 Ghz. the RAM is currently at 1866 Mhz. What can I expect to reliably get the CPU to overclock to and what other less obvious tweaks can I do to to hopefully get it to 5.0 Ghz? The goal is to at least get to 5 Ghz and still have the system pretty reliable. I'm in school right now but I do have a laptop that I can use for school if I totally FUBAR the system or fry the CPU ( neither of which I would really like happen). Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Complete parts breakdown.

Sorry I didn't list all of my hardware in my original post.

CPU: FX-4170
Ram: Corsair Dominator GT 8Gig (2x4 Gig at 1866 Mhz)
Mobo: Biostar TA990FXE
HD: Samsung 830 Series SSD (128 Gig)
Western Digital Caviar Green 1 Terabyte
Video: Radeon HD 5770
DVD+RW: LiteOn
USB: Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse
Case: Rosewill Gamehawk full tower

Hope this can help with any suggestions on where to go next. Thanks for all the help.

please download from the net cpu-z and cpu hardware monitor from the same site,
please download prime 95.
open hardware monitor and cpuz and run prime 95 for 30 mins.
watch the line in hardware monitor listed as "core temp" if it goes over 55c please abort the test and reduce the clock or vcore or both.
please post a screen shot with these open after the 30 min test.

bigdaddy, in listing your hardware components you neglected to include any info about your CPU cooler, one of the most important pieces.

It's pretty unusual to get an FX-41xx to 5 ghz on air cooling and to have it truly stable. We test for true stability with the Prime95 blend test. If you can pass that stress test for at least two hours (No BSOD, lockup, spontaneous restart or none of the Prime95 core workers stopping) you can consider it stable. Please watch the temps as other have said when you are stress testing. We find HWMonitor to be helpful because it monitors both core temps and CPU socket temps. You want to keep core temps from exceeding about 60c and the CPU (socket) temps from exceeding about 70c. Abort the test if either occurs.

Sorry for leaving out such an important detail. I'm using a Corsair H100 to cool the CPU. I have downloaded Prime95, HWMonitor and CPU-Z. I will be working on OCing tonight and will update with the results. Thanks for the help.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

it sounds like your doing good now we do need a look at the temps and voltages with hardware monitor. 4.8-4.9 is getting very close.

Back