• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which is better.. geforce ti200 or geforce fx 5200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-N-

I'm just curious... cause my friend has a fx 5200 and he's selling for really cheap cause it's used. I have a Gainward Ti200. His is obviously a dx9 card so it would have those new features n stuff right?

thanks. :cool:

hmm, I'm not really sure... probably the FX5200, definitely in DX 9 stuff, but it might be close with the Ti200 in DX 7 and 8.

Exactly as Steven said. If its an 128bit FX5200 the FX5200, if its a 64bit memory bus FX5200 then the Ti200. The FX5200 will probably have better image quality though.
Not all FX5200's are the same so its worthwhile finding out exactly which manufacturer, model, Core and Memory Clock Speeds and if its 64 or 128bit memory bus.

The best way you can find out which is best is to benchmark them both in your system and compare. FX5200 is a bit underpowered for DX9 stuff anyway, even though it supports it.

yes it would but this isn't for a ti4200. great card though by the way i had one for 3 years and sold it. sometimes i wish i still had it for my backup rig :(

I'd say you should try it first if possible and compare. My GF2 64mb runs games faster for my friends comp than his 5200fx 128mb did.

I had a gf3 ti200 as well. Was lookin to upgrade, and thought the 5200 by msi. Dunno what the mem was, 64 or 128 bit, but I thought it just had to be better. BUZZ! I did a simple bench in 01, and was quite disgusted. I think it was in the 5k range while my ti200 was getting about 7.5-8k. That was my experience. Got a 4200 and was doing about 12k stock

lol hm... it looks like it isn't really worth an upgrade then heh. I haven't really been keeping up with current news n stuff cause of school (dumb college), but thanks.
Yea i kinda heard the FX5200 was the saddest card out there or somethin so I was wonderin if mine was actually better LOL. So the 5200 supports dx9 but.. just pitifully?

Looks like I'm just gonna save up for a 9600 probably. good day!

-N- said:
lol hm... it looks like it isn't really worth an upgrade then heh. I haven't really been keeping up with current news n stuff cause of school (dumb college), but thanks.
Yea i kinda heard the FX5200 was the saddest card out there or somethin so I was wonderin if mine was actually better LOL. So the 5200 supports dx9 but.. just pitifully?

Looks like I'm just gonna save up for a 9600 probably. good day!
Yes the FX5200 is that bad. Its a disgrace to Nvidia :D Yes it supports DirectX 9 but will have trouble running most DirectX 9 games at a decent or acceptable level of quality. My FX5600 only "JUST" about cuts it for games like Far Cry. I cant run it High everything(but that also goes for most cards) but i can tweak it to an acceptable quality at stock. Overclocking it helps a lot though. I darent even imagine what it runs like on an FX5200...

Well if you go for a Radeon 9600 try and get at least a Pro, and stay away from the "SE"... In fact, if you want a great performing card thats cheap get the Ti4200. Dont support DirectX9 but its probably one of the best price to performance ratio cards out there.

fac_29 said:
Yes the FX5200 is that bad. Its a disgrace to Nvidia :D Yes it supports DirectX 9 but will have trouble running most DirectX 9 games at a decent or acceptable level of quality. My FX5600 only "JUST" about cuts it for games like Far Cry. I cant run it High everything(but that also goes for most cards) but i can tweak it to an acceptable quality at stock. Overclocking it helps a lot though. I darent even imagine what it runs like on an FX5200...

Well if you go for a Radeon 9600 try and get at least a Pro, and stay away from the "SE"... In fact, if you want a great performing card thats cheap get the Ti4200. Dont support DirectX9 but its probably one of the best price to performance ratio cards out there.

Right now, the TI4200 is still great for the sub-$100 price range, but if you want real bang for the buck, newegg has a 128MB 9800 pro that's on an XT PCB. You get a 128MB 9800 XT for $210.

I recently switched from ti 200 64 to a fx5200 128 and only gained around 150 in 3dmark. Maybe a slight improvement in game play.

fac_29 said:
Exactly as Steven said. If its an 128bit FX5200 the FX5200, if its a 64bit memory bus FX5200 then the Ti200. The FX5200 will probably have better image quality though.
Not all FX5200's are the same so its worthwhile finding out exactly which manufacturer, model, Core and Memory Clock Speeds and if its 64 or 128bit memory bus.

The best way you can find out which is best is to benchmark them both in your system and compare. FX5200 is a bit underpowered for DX9 stuff anyway, even though it supports it.

Is there an easy way to tell if a 5200 is a 128 bit version or a 64 bit version? I'm pretty sure mine is the 64 bit, cause it was dirt cheap when I bought it, but I'd like to be able to tell for sure. Also, if it is a 64 bit version, is there any way to mod it inot a 128 bit version?

Back