• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is better Peltier or water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDgeek

Registered
What is better Peltier or water cooling on a socket A?
What kind of cooling would one expect to get out of them?
What do you think?

Probably water, peltiers add extra heat into an already hot system...and you need more ventilation, where with water, or fluid, you could run it as a closed system, where only the tubes, and waterblock go inside.....there is also a kind of electricly inert fluid made for supercooling...and of course it cost some real money, like $80.00 a gal Sorry I can't remember the name.
Pelts are easy to handle also once you get the hang of them....most people going with water also use a couple of pelts as well....I think it's a matter of taste I never really had the need for supercooling, as I have been really lucky when buying processors, most I have bought overclocked well, with just a little good thermal grease, and air cooling

Heatsink, peltiers, and AMD CPUs don't mix well at all.

Water-cooling, and AMD CPUs mix very well

Water-cooling, peltiers, and AMD CPU's work, but for the most part it's not worth the extra effort unless your a fanatic.

DocClock aka MadClocker (Mar 23, 2001 03:17 a.m.):
Probably water, peltiers add extra heat into an already hot system...and you need more ventilation, where with water, or fluid, you could run it as a closed system, where only the tubes, and waterblock go inside.....there is also a kind of electricly inert fluid made for supercooling...and of course it cost some real money, like $80.00 a gal Sorry I can't remember the name.
Pelts are easy to handle also once you get the hang of them....most people going with water also use a couple of pelts as well....I think it's a matter of taste I never really had the need for supercooling, as I have been really lucky when buying processors, most I have bought overclocked well, with just a little good thermal grease, and air cooling

Thanks i agree that a Peltier can add more heat, and more air flow would help but it think that some people go to far like making their case it to a jet turbine. Thanks for the input I think ill try water, and ill se if I can find that non conductive fluid

peltiers create a ton of waste heat. The only reason to use one is if you are going to absolutely nuts on your cpu like getting a duron 700 to 1.2ghz. If not, go with water over air.

From what I know of peltiers all they do is actively moving heat from the chip to the heatsink thus making the heatsink more efficient

I just did not know which worked better.

AMDgeek (Mar 24, 2001 03:02 p.m.):
From what I know of peltiers all they do is actively moving heat from the chip to the heatsink thus making the heatsink more efficient

I just did not know which worked better.

the voltage needed to do this though is extream! this creats tons more heat!

Phobos (Mar 24, 2001 05:03 p.m.):
in my personal opinion and from the experiences i and my close friends have had, water cooling is the better option, there is too much that can go wrong with a pelt

A Pelteir is just like a Refrigerator it produces heat while in the process of making a certain area cooler. The main problem is getting the heat away there after, that is why they make a refrigerator with heat dissipation coils on the back of it. But a computer is not a refrigerator and I am less familiar with the workings refrigerator then of a peltier, and I have I little experience with them both.
Water appears to be safer and that may be the way to go, I think I will try both before I make any strong opinions on ither one

in my opinion watercooling is designed for peltier only because if you put a Soket A as everybody knows it generate a lot of heat so you ll have nearly the same performance as powerfull heatsink same as swifteck or hedgehog with Delta and the watercooling is the only way to add peltier and have a good cooling and it s is the only one who can handle such as big heat so if u have already paid for the watercooling a 20 or 30$ for the peltier it s really worth the money

Back