• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which mp3/ipod dock sound system is the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

digitalhikari

Hi! This is my first post... But I mainly created this account because of this problem. If I look up youtube reviews or demos all I get is, "Wow, it's so amazing!" But to me I think that doesn't tell me anything. And I thought that going to the forums was the next best place.

Renting a beach house soon and my dad is tired of carrying 40 pounds of receiver, equalizer, dvd system, and speakers (his stuff is from like the 90's or older) up and down the stairs anymore so we are trying to find something else and he found one thing that he wants but I think he's selling himself short. The, "so many of my friends has this and it sounds amazing!" theory. But then I heard it myself and yeah it has bass but the quality of sound was horrid. I was confused. Now after a little research I came to the conclusion that I have no idea what I'm looking for and need a little help with my decision.

What he wants:
Sony - 530W Mini Shelf System with Built-In Apple® iPod® Dock

What I think is good:
Kicker - iKICK Portable Speaker System for Apple® iPod® and iPhone®

Which one do you think is better and if there's anything else out there that has quality sound, sounds amazing, and has good bass; please share! Also since we have like $150 of gift cards from Best Buy, please give me links to there! Or if there is something just that amazing not in Best Buy, then just send those links too. I want the best.

Or maybe it would be best to just get a 2.1 Sound System for computers and bring a laptop? Since I know those can sound good.

Helpp please!

You're trying to compare a 40 watt system to a "530" watt system, but audio quality wise, I would have to hear them both to decide...and just to yell you, they are a lot cheaper on amazon.com ($50-$100 cheaper, but then you don't get to use your gift cards...).

You may also consider this or this. They are about the same price there as they are on Amazon.

EDIT: From reading / comparing, I definitely would NOT get the Sony system.

Last edited:
Yes, I just don't like the Sony style:rain:

more, I'm using the newly released Nady - RPA-2 2-Channel Portable:bump:

Hi! This is my first post... But I mainly created this account because of this problem. If I look up youtube reviews or demos all I get is, "Wow, it's so amazing!" But to me I think that doesn't tell me anything. And I thought that going to the forums was the next best place.

Renting a beach house soon and my dad is tired of carrying 40 pounds of receiver, equalizer, dvd system, and speakers (his stuff is from like the 90's or older) up and down the stairs anymore so we are trying to find something else and he found one thing that he wants but I think he's selling himself short. The, "so many of my friends has this and it sounds amazing!" theory. But then I heard it myself and yeah it has bass but the quality of sound was horrid. I was confused. Now after a little research I came to the conclusion that I have no idea what I'm looking for and need a little help with my decision.

What he wants:
Sony - 530W Mini Shelf System with Built-In Apple® iPod® Dock

What I think is good:
Kicker - iKICK Portable Speaker System for Apple® iPod® and iPhone®

Which one do you think is better and if there's anything else out there that has quality sound, sounds amazing, and has good bass; please share! Also since we have like $150 of gift cards from Best Buy, please give me links to there! Or if there is something just that amazing not in Best Buy, then just send those links too. I want the best.

Or maybe it would be best to just get a 2.1 Sound System for computers and bring a laptop? Since I know those can sound good.

Helpp please!

Last edited:
I think we are going to go with the Altec Lansing - Mix Digital Boombox now.

Thank you both for actually replying to me!

Back