• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who says a 486 dx is useless? Not me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Annoyingrob

Aaaaaah, the good old days, processors that ran without any sort of cooling, multipliers of 1, optional math coprocessor. Yeah, yeah. I pulled out my 486 the other day, and set it up. Brought back a lot of good memories, just thought Id share them with you.

The whole thing started out of sheer boredom. I was sitting at my computer, wondering what to do. I know, lets play one of the many games I have, but....never play. Hey, curse of monkey island. I almost beat it before, and it was really funny. Might as well finish it. So I did. Then ther was nothing. I was in the mood for more, so I found an old copy of the original "Secret of monkey island" and decided to play it. Well, a 13 year old computer game didnt like xp all that much. I got it to run, but no sound. Oh well, Guess it's not that bad. Hey, lets try it on a system it was designed for. I pulled out my dx, and loaded it on. 3 whole floppies. Heh, watching all 16 colors (Or maybe it was 256), listening to that pc speaker beep various tunes, it was a lot of fun. Then I got to thinking, Lets try making this machine a little more versatile. I pulled out an old ISA nic, and got dos to work with a TCP/IP network. That was pretty good, no more trips between computers with floppies for me. Pulled out my old ISA sound card, spent hours looking for old drivers, finally got them working. Monkey island was much better after that too. :)

Brings back so many fond memories. This was my first computer, years ago. I could never throw it out. Maybe it was the significance of it being my first copmuter, maybe it was because I spent something like 100 bucks for 16 freaking megs of ram in the thing. Whatever it was, just remember the days. Back when we were all 1337 Qbasic programmers, back when bioses required manually entering in hard drive specifications, and of course, it had to be less than 540mb, not that anyone needed that much. Back when booting from a CD was never a posability. Heck, even recognising the CDrom from bios wasnt possible. Tape drives that used the floppy drive interface. I get about 500k/min transfers :p. DOS. DOS! The ultimate OS. I mean, booted almost immediately, was fast on any machine, never got angry about improper shutdown. Good times :) I have to tell you, Ive gotten so much joy from this machine in the last week. Getting mack to basics, there's just something about it, feels nice.

my neighbor used to have a really old computer. Like.... 25 years old... no hard drive, the REAL floppy drives. He claims it runs at 5-6 Hz. HERTZ!!!! (doubt it tho) It ran dos, and i think had a TV output.

O yeah, it was a Tandy or something... reaaaaaaaaalyyy old.... maximum colors... i think 4.

Zim2411 said:
my neighbor used to have a really old computer. Like.... 25 years old... no hard drive, the REAL floppy drives. He claims it runs at 5-6 Hz. HERTZ!!!! (doubt it tho) It ran dos, and i think had a TV output.

O yeah, it was a Tandy or something... reaaaaaaaaalyyy old.... maximum colors... i think 4.

Commodore 16 doesn't display colors, monochrome

speaking of some old comps, i got a leading edge with a 386 in it.

i still use it actually. its the only thing that will run scorched earth. darn fun game. and it was waaaay too fast on my gateway PII333. i wonder how it will run on a 1.73Ghz athlon?

modenaf1 said:
speaking of some old comps, i got a leading edge with a 386 in it.

i still use it actually. its the only thing that will run scorched earth. darn fun game. and it was waaaay too fast on my gateway PII333. i wonder how it will run on a 1.73Ghz athlon?

LMAO I never thought someone would say a game was too fast

Scorched Earth....Scorched Earth....

It sounds so familiar, yet I can't remember what it is. Could you just give a short description? Its going to bother me until I remember how its played.

-CPFitz-

edit: Now I remeber. Its that tank game. Anyways... a quick Google turned this up. You might want to have a look, it looks pretty cool. I'm downloading it right now.

http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

Back