• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whole partition for swapfile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Awhile back i read something thing about being able to use a seperate small partition on your harddrive for swapfile. If anyone knows how to do this can you please tell me.

creepy said:
Awhile back i read something thing about being able to use a seperate small partition on your harddrive for swapfile. If anyone knows how to do this can you please tell me.

That is not really a good idea because it will cause excessive head movement and slow down your system if you head has to access the swap files and also access any system or program files. Optimum is place the swap file on it's own partition on a SEPARATE hard drive on a SEPERATE IDE channel. That is where you will see an advantage. One thing you should do though is make your swap file size static. In other words, make the minimum and maximum size the same size.

Hammer

Re: Re: whole partition for swapfile

the hammer said:

That is not really a good idea because it will cause excessive head movement and slow down your system if you head has to access the swap files and also access any system or program files. Optimum is place the swap file on it's own partition on a SEPARATE hard drive on a SEPERATE IDE channel. That is where you will see an advantage. One thing you should do though is make your swap file size static. In other words, make the minimum and maximum size the same size.

Hammer

what swap file size would you reccomend for a xp pro system w/ only 160mb RAM (yeah...nees more I know....but my mom just uses it for internet/email/word processing/mp3's/WATCHING digital movies)....xp reccomends 1.5x the amount of system ram....but isnt that too low?

-TriX

Re: Re: Re: whole partition for swapfile

-=TriX-R4-KidS= said:

what swap file size would you reccomend for a xp pro system w/ only 160mb RAM (yeah...nees more I know....but my mom just uses it for internet/email/word processing/mp3's/WATCHING digital movies)....xp reccomends 1.5x the amount of system ram....but isnt that too low?

-TriX

You know, I've seen so many suggestions for what is the correct swap file size. I think it comes down to personal preference. I like to use a swap file that when you add up system ram plus swap file size, it equals at least 1024MB total. With yours, I would run 864MB. If it is too small, Windows XP will automatically resize it for you anyway. If you actually had a full gig of system ram, I'd run just a small 128MB swap file just because some programs require some type of swap file to run.

Hammer

Re: Re: whole partition for swapfile

One massive improvement to Windows XP's performance is the page file which is also often known as a swap file or virtual memory (VM). The page file is a cache of data on the hard disk.
The page file cache is used to support the system memory (RAM). When your system memory is exceptionally low, it reverts to using the page file.
Its worth remembering that data accessed on a hard disk (no matter how fast) is very slow when compared to accessing system memory and as such your PC performance reduces when using the page file over RAM.
The more system memory your have, the less the page file is used, so installing more system memory (RAM) will also improve page file performance.
It is worth pointing out however that no matter how much memory you have in your system there will still be times when the system must use the swap file and as such you can obtain performace gains by optimizing it

You can improve your page file performance by making a partition on your hard drive for it or better yet, a separate partition on a drive other than the one that has WinXP installed on it as this additionally reduces fragmentation of the page file, which also reduces performance

As a guideline, make the swap file partition about two times the size of the amount of RAM you have.

If you already have XP set up, you can use the Disk Mangement tool to create a new partition. You can only do this if you already have multiple partitions on your hard drive (you must have administrator's rights to do this).

Open the Administrative Tools control panel.

Open Computer Management.

Expand Computer Management, then expand Storage.

Open Disk Management

Right Size the Page File

Now that your partition is set, you have to designate the size of the page file in XP.

Open the System control panel.

Click on the Advanced tab, then click the Setting button under Performance.

Under Performance Options, click on the Advanced tab.

Under Virtual Memory, click on Change.

In the Drive box, click on C: drive.

For Initial Size and Maximum Size, enter 0.

Click on Set to set the page file.

In the Drive box, click on the partition you create as the page file.

For Initial Size and Maximum Size, enter the size of your page file partition. Make the swap file partition about two times the size of the amount of RAM you have.

Click on Set to set the page file.

Click on OK.

You can also use a program like Partition Magic to split off a gig or two of space for your swap file. As for the proper size, MS recommends setting the minimum size to 1.5 times your physical RAM and the maximum to 3 times. If you plan to make it static, then I'd make both at 3 times your physical RAM size.

I have a gig of RAM in my system...i'll be setting my virtual memory static to 1.5 gigs :)

that should be enough hehe.

Also, I heard if you disable virtual memory, THEN defrag, THEN re-enable it it will have defragmented the virtual memory part of the disk, and will be fast again.

I haven't used win xp yet though...and I guess that has some better tools that allow you to optimize your drive...etc :)

My swap file is located on an old 4gb scsi disk controlled by an aha-2940 adapter. WinXp and apps are on the master ide disk (40gb 7200).

mito

Back