• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whoops.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
pwnt by pat said:
Did you really think you were going to get anywhere putting a tec on the x800xl with it's non low-k dielectrics? It's ment as a budget card and has been proven not to overclock well. At stock speeds, it does fare very well against the 6800 series as all reviews show. If you wanted to test max for max, you should have gotten a x800 pro.

sorry, just a blindingly obvious fact

edit: also, the x800xl is not the same as the x800/x850 cards.

Also, bench your p4 against the venice when both are prommied/watercooled to max and don't just do desktop applications. It's been known for a while that intels do better in desktop applications but in games, A64s truely shine.

Actually when the Xl first came out I remember people complaining that the .11nm proccess required atleast a Tec to get fast overclocks. Also it seems none of these cards have started shined on air.

Also the x800pro does infact do better at overclocking than XL until you pull out the extreme cooling. I believe this is becuase .13nm proccess has been perfected so the x800pros tend to scale alot better becuase the proccess has been perfected

Finally since not to many people seem to notice his Phase Change Cooling System is not working at the moment. Also everyone that was saying oh lets see these side by side benches and I don't really care what it feels like running on the desktop. All he's saying is what he thinks and if I remember correctly his P4 system is an AGP system which I believe he managed to kill all his fast AGP video cards last week.

Congrats on AMD switch fishy however I saw something to sway you back to Intel yesterday Asus CT-479 and its only $50.:)

x800pro is 12 pipe. Thats even more crippeled.

If I didn't think the Pelt would help I wouldn't have put it on. Its pretty clear that you have no idea what you are talking about here. Lets see a card run the speeds Im running on just water? Also if you look at the fastest x800XLs they are phase change cooled. So telling me with a straight face that cooling does not help leads me to believe that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes, there are the extremely high clocked xls on XS. I did not say cooling was not benefitial, just that the pelt will net you very little over water on the XL. I hit 540:537 core:mem (I think mem is right) with the v700-cu on 5v, completely stable and 47c load temps.

As for the x800 pro, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=305700 . Even with a 4 pipe disadvantage, I HIGHLY doubt there would be any contest.

RAMDOM choice from that link:

Score.....Name.....Clock....Bus..PipeMod..Bio sMod..Manufacturer...Vmod..RamType..Cooling.....Temps...Notes
1240...Gautam....650/590..AGP..Failed...No...BBATi.....Yes...S am2.0...Alpha6035.+.delta60mm..29/44...1.56v

apal.jpg

old oc.com front page article

I think you should drop your modded phase onto the a64 and see where you go from there. First though, invest in a similar video card to compair procs/boards with. There is just too many variables when switching cpu, board, and video card all at once.

speed bump said:
Congrats on AMD switch fishy however I saw something to sway you back to Intel yesterday Asus CT-479 and its only $50.:)

ive been tempted and i mean TEMPTED to pick one of these up but it looks like it would be such a pain for me to condensate proof it. here in the midwest the humidity is so ridiculous sometimes :(

hawtrawkr said:
hell if you go look on the orb for 03 ive got the 2nd highest P4 score on there only behind fugger (which ive beaten just need to run it with approved drivers on vc damned free time is at a minimum) its like number 5 in the world cpu wise for 03* and surrounded by phased fx-55s and the like. this is why i tell people left and right to not just spout out with a64 for games a64 for games in all honesty the a64 can do alot more than game well and it takes away from the chip when they only tout its gaming performance. also it seems like games are getting more and more card dependant anymore.

Don't forget shaminos fastest single card runs with a 3.73ghz EE @ like 5.6ghz and a 6800u.

speed bump said:
Don't forget shaminos fastest single card runs with a 3.73ghz EE @ like 5.6ghz and a 6800u.

oh believe me im not thats why i threw the * in there. theres plenty of people out there who can beat me he had a much > cpu than me and my test bench doesnt even hold a candle to his test wall of cascade fury.

speed bump said:

Look who is right behind him too.

3d036800U.jpg

hawtrawkr said:
well somebody had to say it.

if i had to guess id think that the amd/x800xl system would win out here as ati cards tend to do better with 01 than nvidias current offerings. and the lower latencies on the cache for the venice will surely shine here compared to the lax 6xx series. of course we could be in for a suprise but @ 2.9ghz venice should be right there if not above a 4.2 640. the memory diffrences would probably be the real killer here though. i know my old 660 could hang and even beat with the fx-55 simply because the fx-55 was @ 3.2ghz 2-3-2-6 250mhz while the 660 was @ 5.2ghz 3-2-2-8 291mhz 3-2-2-8. this was with the same video card and clocks on it. the diffrences in the systems were the motherboard/memory/cpu everything else was the same both on fresh OS installs and identical pagefile/OS tweaks. i dont doubt the fx-55 wouldnt do better with some faster memory that i could drop the ratio down and up the fsb but im sure the 660 could score alot higher in a hybrid system with something better than cl3 as well.

one way or another we need to see fishy results before this stuff hits the classifieds :santa:

You need to play with that FX more my friend! I can assure you (and you know i love Intel) that it will take down every Intel 660 mark you can throw at it. I had that thing close to 3300 on a Neo2 for benching, so imagine what you can do with it! I'm not trying to dog your Intel setup, just saying that it would really beat the 660 at even 5G at every bench assuming the video card was similar. I can even test that theory with my 3700+ SD...

Sucka said:
You need to play with that FX more my friend! I can assure you (and you know i love Intel) that it will take down every Intel 660 mark you can throw at it. I had that thing close to 3300 on a Neo2 for benching, so imagine what you can do with it! I'm not trying to dog your Intel setup, just saying that it would really beat the 660 at even 5G at every bench assuming the video card was similar. I can even test that theory with my 3700+ SD...

oh im not putting the fx down by any means its an incredible chip once i have some time to really get the memory up around 300ish and move over to the g.skill im sure ill up all my scores (was still playing with my bh-5 when the board took a dive).

i couldnt get a 01 run at anything higher than 3200ish and my best superpi was....... gasp 27s :( think it might be that your machII is running colder than my vapochill ls also i seriously need to get some ceramique to use with it as im currently rocking some generic white paste on it since i ran out of the ceramique. of course there was obviously something wrong with my board since it crapped out after only a few days so who knows. ive also heard that the nforce 3 ultras were pulling off better 01 scores but i hadnt checked into this much.

when i get home tonight and play some more with the eist tool im going to try and break 36k with my intel on 01se which i think my chances are pretty good based on my earlier run of 35k and some change i did at lunch. atm its running memtest @ 310 with memory @ 3-2-2-6 there werent any errors after 2 passes i watched before heading back to work but that may be diffrent by the time i get home.

Fishy, what ram timings and ratio were you running?

For me, desktop stuff runs so fast with an XP-M I don't really care, so I'd get an A64 just to squeeze the last bit of speed out for games.

Voodoo Rufus said:
Fishy, what ram timings and ratio were you running?

For me, desktop stuff runs so fast with an XP-M I don't really care, so I'd get an A64 just to squeeze the last bit of speed out for games.

2-2-2-5-1t 9/10

RJARRRPCGP said:

A. Its a super old benchmark.

B. There are too many tweaks, settings, secret tricks to make it perform.

C. It doesn't show the power of the faster Nvidia cards.

D. Need I go on?

Voodoo Rufus said:
I guess that would explain the fan over them. Must've needed some decent voltage for it.

Not really. I think it only 230mhz for the RAM.

Only used 3.2v, but I was trying to get stable at higher 1:1 speeds.

a64s crush Intel in most things, especially gaming but Fishy doesnt really game and he does multitasking which the p4 does best on. for what I do, a64 is the best

Overclocker550 said:
the point is most people consider your AMD machine better than your Intel one.....

Well, they would be wrong.

This thread is not to arguee with you about what you think other people think.

Back