• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whoops.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3500+ is about equal to the 640 both price wise, and SuperPi wise. Like I said above the 640 is much much smoother, runs daily applications much better, and HT makes a huge difference. Make fun of it if you want, but untill you have tried it, you don't understand.

If I had a 'working' Prommy you would see some better results off this thing, but as for right now, shes broken. I had to strip all the cooling parts off the P4, so I can't run them side by side. I need to swap everything over.

Im going to try and get 3ghz stable. Right not 2950 is the best. If I can't do that, Im going to play with my new 660 somemore.

hawtrawkr said:
well somebody had to say it.

if i had to guess id think that the amd/x800xl system would win out here as ati cards tend to do better with 01 than nvidias current offerings. and the lower latencies on the cache for the venice will surely shine here compared to the lax 6xx series. of course we could be in for a suprise but @ 2.9ghz venice should be right there if not above a 4.2 640.

one way or another we need to see fishy results before this stuff hits the classifieds :santa:

x800/x850s are faster in 01. So are a64s. I might see a 30k point run on the P4/6800 if I hadn't killed the 6800.

30k should be easy on this set-up. I guess Ill take a stab or two at it. Im not tweaking or running 2k either. I really don't like 01, so it will be a OCed untweaked run.

Well, I guess Im not going to run it.

It errors and says I need DX 8.1 and Drivers installed.

Yet I have drivers and DX 9.

hawtrawkr said:
bah and i live in the crappy midwest i have sucka on the west coast and fishy on the east and i live in the middle of corn fields :bang head

someday i may live close to an avid overclocker but thats probably just wishful thinking

Right here at Indianapolis :)

Fishy, I'm very interested in your cooling setup. Could you please list the cooling items involved and where you bought it from?

Thanks,

S-N

Last edited:
Super Nade said:
Right here at Indianapolis :)

Fishy, I'm very interested in your cooling setup. Could you please list the cooling items involved and where you bought it from?

Thanks,

S-N

Ok, no prob. Im running two indepentent loops so as to not dump all the heat from the TEC onto the CPU.

CPU loop is a Swiftec 6002-775. Its the stepped base version which clears the ZIF socket with CPUs with no IHS. Pump is a MCP600 rebadged as an AquaXtreme. 160mm heatercore with homemade shroud and single 120mm fan. 1/2" barbs, and 1/2" hose.

GPU loop is a Swiftec MCW50-T upgraded to a 172w TEC powered by a Meanwell 24v PSU running at 18v. Pump is a ViaAqua 1300, running submerged with 1/2" fittings and 7/16" master clear. Also running a 160mm heatercore, but with a 330CFM 12v DC 172mm Fan.

Anything else? I know its not pretty, but its not supose to be, its supose to be easy to work on. I only happened across the CPU block working when I found out the Mach1 I was planning on using was dead.

{PMS}fishy said:
Im not tweaking or running 2k either. I really don't like 01, so it will be a OCed untweaked run.

ive never made a 01 run on 2k ive done some 8.1 runs..... before dx9 came out since then i havent done a 01 run with anything but xp pro and dx9.

weird its giving you the driver/dx8.1 error though never even heard of that before (not the king of 01 by any means). maybe you should try another install of it and see what happens then. :shrug:

It needed that patch.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8587070

3d01.jpg

That was totally untweaked. Booted, opened ATI tool, ran 3D01. DX9 WinXP.

well now ill have to find out what the patch does exactly ive never had the problem and ive run 01se on so many diffrent machines and hardware its pathetic

dropadrop said:
I quite agree that for normal use a P4 is much more responsive. That's why I can't wait for dualcore...

If I wanted 2 CPUs, Id get an SMP system.

I've been there and done that. 1 fast P4 is faster in most day to day stuff, than 3.3ghz XEONs.

Did you really think you were going to get anywhere putting a tec on the x800xl with it's non low-k dielectrics? It's ment as a budget card and has been proven not to overclock well. At stock speeds, it does fare very well against the 6800 series as all reviews show. If you wanted to test max for max, you should have gotten a x800 pro.

sorry, just a blindingly obvious fact

edit: also, the x800xl is not the same as the x800/x850 cards.

Also, bench your p4 against the venice when both are prommied/watercooled to max and don't just do desktop applications. It's been known for a while that intels do better in desktop applications but in games, A64s truely shine.

pwnt by pat said:
Did you really think you were going to get anywhere putting a tec on the x800xl with it's non low-k dielectrics? It's ment as a budget card and has been proven not to overclock well. At stock speeds, it does fare very well against the 6800 series as all reviews show. If you wanted to test max for max, you should have gotten a x800 pro.

sorry, just a blindingly obvious fact

edit: also, the x800xl is not the same as the x800/x850 cards.

Also, bench your p4 against the venice when both are prommied/watercooled to max and don't just do desktop applications. It's been known for a while that intels do better in desktop applications but in games, A64s truely shine.

x800pro is 12 pipe. Thats even more crippeled.

If I didn't think the Pelt would help I wouldn't have put it on. Its pretty clear that you have no idea what you are talking about here. Lets see a card run the speeds Im running on just water? Also if you look at the fastest x800XLs they are phase change cooled. So telling me with a straight face that cooling does not help leads me to believe that you have no idea what you are talking about.

I think Im pretty postivite that I have always said that an a64 does better in games. I spend about 1% of my time gamming. Id rather have a P4 for everything, and take the hit 1% of the time as opposed to 99%.

{PMS}fishy said:
I spend about 1% of my time gamming. Id rather have a P4 for everything, and take the hit 1% of the time as opposed to 99%.

hell why stop there? put any decent midrange p4 (with ht and 1 or 2mb cache) machine up against any midrange a64 alternative launch a game without fraps or a frame counter going and ask a friend/relative/hardcore gamer which is which. the answer is they wont have a clue. this is mainly due to the fact that the diffrence between 140 and 160fps shows up in benchmarks and not to your human eye then factor in how alot of people turn on vsync to stop any tares and rips while theyre playing and ask why was i buying an a64 again? oh yeah to run benchmarks. :)

hawtrawkr said:
ask why was i buying an a64 again? oh yeah to run benchmarks. :)

Is that why your P4 holds the teams SuperPi record?

Is that the 660 I got, or Sucka?

{PMS}fishy said:
Is that why your P4 holds the teams SuperPi record?

Is that the 660 I got, or Sucka?

Edit: actually the 25.36 was with your 660 @ 5.2ghz ive beaten that craptastic 25.36s run by a full second though with suckas so maybe by the time my ultra-d replacement shows up in the next day or 2 i can bribe him with more cash than he was looking for his FX so i can try and hold onto this bish.

hell if you go look on the orb for 03 ive got the 2nd highest P4 score on there only behind fugger (which ive beaten just need to run it with approved drivers on vc damned free time is at a minimum) its like number 5 in the world cpu wise for 03* and surrounded by phased fx-55s and the like. this is why i tell people left and right to not just spout out with a64 for games a64 for games in all honesty the a64 can do alot more than game well and it takes away from the chip when they only tout its gaming performance. also it seems like games are getting more and more card dependant anymore.

like you ive tested the amd waters (couple 754 and 939 systems over the past year or so) and found them refreshing but not what i was looking for they can be incredibly fun to play with but in the end i still prefer my intels :)

Double EDIT: cant believe that 660 showed up yesterday morning for you though sent the thing out saturday at noon for like 5$. usps priority is my shipper of choice :thup:

* yes i am aware that not everyone runs the cpu tests but for those who do its interesting to see who im surrounded by.

Last edited:
Back