• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are my 9800pro marks this low?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmybighands

I ran both 3d01 and 3d03. Both scores seem REALLY low to me. What's up with this?

I did the "simple" install by just adding/removing the old drivers. Do you think it could be a driver conflict (previous card was a 9500 modded).

Have a look:

3d03 = 4851 points

3d01 = 16939 points

I see guys with 20,000points ALL the time. I was expecting to get at least 18K. Heck, my 9500 scored 16,500.

i had the same problem when i got my 9800np. i had flashed it to pro bios for a speed of 380/337 from the original NP speed of 324/290 and expected 18k as well but i only got like 17k. I found that my fast write would not enable for some reason and it kept defualting to 4x instead of 8x. before the 9800 came i had a ti4400 on the OS so i guess the drivers or somethign lurked around that i could not get rid of. I reinstalled the OS with the 9800 and my fast write and 8x was now enabled and now i was scoring 19500 at stock pro speeds. also in the properties make sure its set for performance so all the sliders should be to the left when benchmarking.

does enabling fast writes really do that much for performance? i've kept it disabled since back in the days of my 8500, when the performance gain was little and stability could be affected by fast writes.

J.

Hmmm...

Yeah, I re-installed the drivers again. And 8x/fastwrites are on.

Yesterday I oc'd the processor to 205 and the video card to 425/351 and turned only 18,200 points. I dont get it.

XP3000+ 400fsb <-- your cpu is "slow" other ppl are running at way pass 200 FSB 220-250.. with their cpu speeds at least at 2.5 ghz or higher.. you're no where near them ;x

Well, I went for 215 the other day at 1.8Vcore and halfway through the bench the computer just shutdown. Not a reboot, a shutdown. I had to reset the power supply and when I got back into bios, the cpu temp was 59 C. Think that's too high?

Wow 59C! Your quite lucky your machine shut down. I think the meltdown point is 63 or 65C but I'm not positive. I would suggest you browse the CPU forum for some overclocking advice before attempting such an aggressive overclock.

1.8V core is way too high as well.

cherryp00t said:
XP3000+ 400fsb <-- your cpu is "slow" other ppl are running at way pass 200 FSB 220-250.. with their cpu speeds at least at 2.5 ghz or higher.. you're no where near them ;x
its not the CPU thats slowing him down, i think its his radeon settings. his cpu is plenty good enough for 19,500 scores as long as the ati settings are correct.

timmy, did you make sure to turn all your sliders to the left for maximum performance? go into direct 3d and do that then run the test and dont bother overclocking the card cuase it might be throttling cuase of heat just use stock pro speeds at 380/337 and that should get you above 19k scores.

I have a friend who's got his cpu to 80 degrees C...it still works, didn't melt down, but i am not sure it works as well as it should...He gets 3100 3dmark 2k3 points with a 2.6c, 512 mb ddr 2700 ram (not sure what brand, etc), and a radeon 9700 np...is that score low for that system, btw?

Yeah, all my sliders are set to performance.

I have the thermal throttling disabled in BIOS and the active CPU shutoff as well. Hmm...

not just set to performance but every slider on the screen has to be to the left.

meltdown point 65c? The maximum operating temperature of this CPU is 90c. That is operating temperature, in other words its 'in spec' to run it up to that high. Of course keeping it under 50 is best.

@ the topic: Do you have the 9800's extra power connector on its own line? Meaning the set of molex connectors coming out of the PSU isnt plugged into anything else but the video card?

Those that are saying its your CPU could very likely be right. 3dmark2001 has become rather CPU dependent. You might want to rely on 03.

Or to look at it another way, who cares? Stop worrying about your 3dmark score and play some games :rolleyes: :D

that score seems about right to me. 3d01 is dependent on cpu speed. those other people with scores of 18k+ u are talking about usually all have 3.2+ ghz

I thought that the OMEGA drivers were for quality and not performance. Thus SLOWING your 3d marks?

omega and catalyst didnt really make much difference in score and will definetly not make up for the 1000 points he is behind. I still think the cpu speed is not the factor and that perhaps timmy missed a setting somewhere. I would test my radeon myself but i cant at the moment cuase i rmaed it for minor artifacts so when i get it back i will test it out at a low cpu speed like 2.4ghz and see how much a difference that makes.

hahaha... "low cpu speed like 2.4ghz"

I'm lucky to get 2.3 out of this thing. I will make sure I move all my sliders to the left Noxion... then I'll post my new scores.

Thanks man.

Back