• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do AMD cards suck @ folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
There was a time when AMD had partnered with F@H and things were.... OK I guess. One of yous alls just showed me a link. (https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/overall_ranks) in which AMD is #10 at best with Windows and/or Linux. That ain't good.

I mean, with Nvidia being wangs.... I'd like to change my preferred purchases to Team Red. For the $$$, the ppd is too low. Gotta stay with Team Green if you fold.

This is a copy of the link copy.

If you clicked on both links... got ya.

Last edited:
I recall attempting repeatedly trying to get an AMD GPU (R9) running on Linux and the video drivers simply weren't able to run on Linux. So I ran it on Winderz. Don't know about the CPU side of it as I haven't AMD'd in years. But just might again......

Why does my 6800 XT suck even harder than your list Don? I started folding with it (until a tree took out our power for close to 24 hours). It was averaging about 1.5million ppd & that list say it should be about 5.2million ppd.

Yup, I was beta gpu folding on my core 2 duo rig with a pair of ati x1900s. I recently did a retro rebuild of that rig & it's been a lot of fun playing around with it in the basement.

Yup, I was beta gpu folding on my core 2 duo rig with a pair of ati x1900s. I recently did a retro rebuild of that rig & it's been a lot of fun playing around with it in the basement.
I remember being all excited over folding on my newly acquired ATI 1900 xtx. I don't recall but I was selling it off to make room for a Geforce 7600 GT OC

Attachments

• DSCN1126.JPG
    DSCN1126.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Geforce 7600 GT .JPG
    Geforce 7600 GT .JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 5
perhaps a look at cost per million points is in order?
That's a fair point.
My memory is terrible but the first GPU's to fold were AMD's...around 2007. Around the time Stalker came out. I had my first and last AMD.

Cuda cores are only available on Nvidia and that is what fah is geared toward...That is why AMD's are behind in fah.

I remember getting an x1500 only to *just* find out that the x1500 generated errors and was cut from F@H. I was really disappointed but I couldn't afford better then so I kept it and gamed on it.

Why does my 6800 XT suck even harder than your list Don? I started folding with it (until a tree took out our power for close to 24 hours). It was averaging about 1.5million ppd & that list say it should be about 5.2million ppd.
Yeah. Don't know. I just fired up my 3080Ti LHR which should on it's own make over 7 mill. I'm getting 12 mil total for the 3080Ti LHR, 2 x 3080 LHR(?) and a 3060 LHR

Reboot...
Many times my friend. Many times.

The 3080Ti LHR resides in a 1st Gen Threadripper machine with no other cards. It has all of the PCIe lanes it can take.
The other three cards are in a very old X58 chipset MB with PCIe gen 2 maybe? They could use more lanes I'm sure but I fired up the 3080Ti last night for folding. It's not the first time I've fired it up. It ran for a while before summer and the results were about the same.

Win 10, Threadripper 1900, 32 GB DDR4, 2xNVMe and I'm fairly sure not stealing lanes from the PCIe slot. So... it is what it is. Just not what the list says it should be.

I was looking around the Folding Forums and found the AMD section. It seems the AMD drivers have been borked for F@H for quite some time, but a recent 22.7 beta release was supposed to fix that. I was on 22.5 - the latest official release. I updated to the latest 22.9 beta and started folding. I'm currently at 5 million ppd, from 1.5M ppd, on the RX 6800 XT. It doesn't match an RTX 3080, but I'd say it doesn't really suck anymore either. :)

Folding5Mppd.png

Why do birds suddenly appear, when you fold, with AMD gear (sing to the tune of the Carpenters song Close to you) :rofl: :rofl:

Should have said "Why do vultures suddenly appear, when you fold, with AMD gear, unlike me, they want to be, close to you (lunch time)" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Back