• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does 2.0A have default Vcore of 1.65?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan

I built a computer for my son using an OEM 2.0A P4 on an Abit SR7-8X. Curiously, the Vcore stated in BIOS and using Hardware Doctor proggie on the Abit disk is 1.65. I thought Northwood A CPUs had a stock Vcore of 1.5. No modification to the chip as far as I could tell. Any ideas?

Some boards overvolt the chip by default.. My Asus P4PE when set at 1.525v gives me 1.65v!! The funny thing is that Abit is known for undervolting by default. reset you bios to double check. Most likely Program is reading the temp wrong. I'd look at the bios hardware monitor for the actual voltage. Again, abit boards usually undervolt..

BIOS hardware monitor also states 1.65. Should I flash the BIOS to see if that corrects it? The chip overclocks to 133 FSB w/o a hitch but have not tried any higher.

Updated to latest BIOS from Abit but no change for default Vcore. I'll double check by installing MBM tomorrow....thanx.

Could it be a 2.0 willy? They have a 1.7 volt at default, and Abit boards do undervoltabout 0.05V.

steve

Johan said:
I built a computer for my son using an OEM 2.0A P4 on an Abit SR7-8X. Curiously, the Vcore stated in BIOS and using Hardware Doctor proggie on the Abit disk is 1.65. I thought Northwood A CPUs had a stock Vcore of 1.5. No modification to the chip as far as I could tell. Any ideas?

So the BIOS hardware monitor shows 1.65v, but what does the cpu voltage setting itself show?

1.65v reading from a true 1.5v strikes me as way off. My P4T533 shows 1.55 (at 1.5v default) or so while idle, but under load it drops to spec.

overvolts on Asus P4PE

overclockers456:

Can you help me in this topic. I have Asus P4PE, and I did the paint tricks 1.70V on P4nw 1.8A @2.61GHz. I wonder why ASUS mobo reports 1.776V in BIOS and ditto in Asus PC Probe Software? I already set the CPU VCORE to auto or default, and I even select manual at 1.70V options. But still 1.776V is being reported.

The temperatures are 44C (idle) and 57C (max. load).

what do you think? I am worried about SDNS...

Check out the size of the L2 cache, if it's 256kb, you have a Wilammette CPU. A Northwood CPU has 512kb L2 cache, it also runs on1.5 or 1.525 volts.

Yes there are 478 socket willys.

steve

It's a Northie; S-Spec is SL66R. Didn't get a chance to install MBM yet but I suspect that will tell me the same; Sandra also states that default Vcore is 1.65.

my default voltage for my 2.0A is 1.47. i changed the FSB to make it 2.9GHz and the idle temp only went up from 25 to like 30. i never tried any further.

Doofie27cp2 said:
there is a 2.0 ghz willie, yet they cost as much as a northwood 2.53 now :D

really? With only half L2 cache, how can they charge that much?

And how do you spell that full name of that "williy"? "william"? or whatever? :)

Back