• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why r the coldcathodes.com cc's so much cheaper then anywhere else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

i was looking at the ccfl's at coldcathodes.com and they are so much cheaper than lets say xoxide...

are they bad quality or what? anyone know? because i want either a 19" U one for front of my antec case or 2 4 inch ones..
oh, and does anyone kno if the 19 inches is the total length? and if anyone put them in their antec PLUS1080AMG case

thanks

Max

its because they are lower quality, they still work fine but they dont have the acryllic tubes, and the wire leads are on each end rather than together on one. ( I have several myself). They work just fine though. Not sure about 19" ones, havent gotten any of those but I have 2 4" red ones in one of my monitors and they work fine.

The "Pro Models" are what everyone else sells. These things are hard to make "cheaper" than what you get. Its just a length of tube, a standard CC light they prob buy wholesale (from whatever company actually makes these things), some wire and synthetic wire sleave, and some stock acrylic squares that have been machined.

Those ones with two wires comming out of them are the old style. Dont bother with them. Just more wires to route.

What they can skimp on is the inverters, which it looks like they didnt on the pro models. They also use nice quick disconnects even though Id prefer the standard CC light connectors. Theyre just trying to make things more proprietary.

What you want is, for about the same price, a sunbeam kit from SVC.com or performance-pcs.com. P-pcs sleaves em for you too at no exta cost, svc is still the chepest in town though.

Also, I suggest getting a Dual Inverter kit in the 12" variety. That way you can plug in multiple lights.

One thing to rem too, all the inverters are not the same. They scale. I def found this out with Fush Zero. If you buy a 12" dual kit, you can put 2x12" in there or smaller lights. If you buys say a 6" kit, its not rated for the current draw of 2x12" lights. Im not say all of them are this way. Just rem this as a rule of thumb, dont get screwed with half lit lights.

I think that the CCFLs at www.svc.com are supposed to be the best. I bought mine at xoxide.....but the ones at svc are like $6.50 for 2x12" + dual inverter. that, and they're Sunbeam, which people around here seem to think are the best.

Again, the ones I have are from xoxide.com, and they work great. But people around here seem to like the SVC ones the best.

hmm.. sunbeam.. i think my friend ordered 2 UV cc's from them and they were crappy quality. but then he returned them and got a blue and green replacement which are fine.

so i might get the ones at SVC

max

I love my svc cc. Works great, aside from taking a lil while to warm up. Thats not a fault though.. tube was shipped DOA and I fixed it myself. They sent me another tube at no cost, so now i have a backup red/blue tube. :)

Back