• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

I'm running Mandrake 8.1 in dual boot with Mandrake on one hard drive and Widoze 98SE on the other. So far so good.

I upgraded my Video card to a Geforce III ti200 and my NIC to a 3com at the same time. Everything works EXCEPT.... I like to play Quake III on Linux. Before I upgraded it worked fine for on line multiplayer. After the upgrade I am unable to attach to the Master server in Linux. But hey, it works under Windoze. Also, surfing and everything else works under Linux and Windoze. Also, all of the other 3D games that I have tried work and Quake works in single player mode. I have reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Mandrake and Quake from scratch.

One other thing. During this time, my cable provider changed from AT&T to Comcast. Under AT&T I had a dedicated IP address. Under Comcast it uses DHCP.

Any ideas????

Is linux getting an IP from the DHCP server? I'm not sure how you check this though. Should be able to see the IP somewhere.

I have never set up linux on a network :( All I can say is I thnk its the DHCP.

The IP address is provided by the router. The router obtains the IP address from Comcast. But remember that Windoze goes through the same route and it works there.

try running a configuration tool, linuxconf, netconf, and the mandrake control center link on your desktop will let you change your networking conguration options too.

I would look into making sure that you have the right ethernet device(s) bound right, as well as the right module for your NIC loaded too, and that you are using DHCP...

you may also want to check your firewall scripts as well, they may be set for a static IP and not a dynamic IP... i had to do that for the TrinityOS firewalling scripts.

I think there was a problem w/ most of the DHCP client that shipped with mandrake8.0 or 8.1, as well as RedHat 7.1... so you may also need to upgrade a new DHCP client as well...

I am obviously a newbie at Lynux. Can you give me more specific directions for using the configuration tools?

I have no firewall installed.

I was aware that the firewall existed, but I assumed that since I didn't activate it that it wasn't installed.

well the carriage is getting a tad bit in front of the horse... on getting a firewall setup.

you will want to open up a shell, or terminal, which is similar to a DOS prompt. and type one of the commands like linuxconf, or netconf. but if you are going to use the mandrake control center (MCC) all you need to do is just click on it. Then you'll need to look under the networking tab/tree and change the settings to what's appropriate. if you are using the MCC you can also setup a firewall too... I prefer using Bastille Linux for hardening my box and for firewalling though, which also comes w/ mandrake 8.1and 8.2

Back