• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Enermax 550W PSU do for my dual pelt system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strokeside

I am gonna be using a 220W@12V using 19Amps, and 80W pelt at 7V using 4Amps for cooling my CPU and GPU. If I use the enermax 550W PSU, which has 36amps on the 12V rail, should I be able to run my system off the PSU along with my pelts too?
I have few other components in my system, so 12V usage would be low, and the overall combined amps drawn would be less then the 36 of the PSU.

Could I use the PSU or should I get a seperate one?

Wow thats quite a supply! Yes, that would be suffiecient to power both your pelts. What rail were you planning on using for the 7v pelt?? The 5v??

Just make sure to insulate your socket......:eek:

You better check the amp. rating for that power supply again. According to enermax, the 550W PSU only supplies 24 amps. on the 12V rail. The 220 watt pelt alone with your hard drives, CD Roms and fans will overload it.

I could be wrong but I am almost positive that 24 amps. is what these PSUs are rated for.

Looking at the link below, it says 36Amps. I would also like ot know, seeing as it is 36Amps Max., can the psu operate correctly and keep all the other rails at the correct voltage levels seeing as the 12V rail would be drawing a lot of power?

For the 7V, it would be a 7V mod, 12V on positive of pelt, 5V on negative.
Look at the Enermax EG651P-VE FMA psu

I don't think that info is correct. Check HERE.

I've installed a couple of these units, on the side it clearly reads 24A at 12V max.

36A may be the peak, but it will not put out that amount of amperage.

Fiddle Sticks!
At that amperage, it will only do for the two pelts, I will still need my current psu to run my system and that psu for my pelts, Oh well :(

strokeside, go to www.newegg.com. They have the Antec 510D refurbished for $49. These are brand new PSU's that were returned because the buyer did not realize that the ATX connector is 24 pin, not the standard 20 pin. I bought two of them for pelt use only. 30 amps. on the 12v line on each PSU. Not bad for $49.

Not sure if they ship to Ireland though.

Back