• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I Benefit from RAID 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staccato9

Registered
I am deciding whether I should buy a second hard drive to match my maxtor 120 gb 8 mb cache and put them in RAID 0. I would be using the onboard pata raid controller on my P4P800 deluxe. What performance difference would I see as opposed to just my single drive. I use my computer for gaming, coding, video editing, and photoshopping. Also if the second hard drive was a western digital 120 gb 8mb cache instead of a matching maxtor would it make a difference?

Staccato9 said:
I am deciding whether I should buy a second hard drive to match my maxtor 120 gb 8 mb cache and put them in RAID 0. I would be using the onboard pata raid controller on my P4P800 deluxe. What performance difference would I see as opposed to just my single drive. I use my computer for gaming, coding, video editing, and photoshopping.
Raid 0 doesnt seem to make all that much difference, if you really want faster drivers get some 10k rpm raptors or go SCSI
*edit* check out this real world test a member did of SATA RAID, (I know your using PATA but the point is still the same http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=310250
Staccato9 said:
Also if the second hard drive was a western digital 120 gb 8mb cache instead of a matching maxtor would it make a difference?
no it wont matter as long as they are same type, cache, size, speed, etc.

my single drive scores are around 50 mb/s and in RAID0 i get about 75-80

Staccato9 said:
I am deciding whether I should buy a second hard drive to match my maxtor 120 gb 8 mb cache and put them in RAID 0. I would be using the onboard pata raid controller on my P4P800 deluxe. What performance difference would I see as opposed to just my single drive. I use my computer for gaming, coding, video editing, and photoshopping. Also if the second hard drive was a western digital 120 gb 8mb cache instead of a matching maxtor would it make a difference?

i would get the exact same drive if possible....mixing brands is known to cause issues due to slight differences in drive operations

Back