• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will uefi motherboards boot hard drives with MBR and legacy bios on them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

I have an asus z170-a, and my hard drive is is MBR (not GPT), and does NOT have uefi enabled.... will my new motherboard be able to boot the os on my drive? I'm upgrading from an old bios style motherboard to UEFI (i plan to convert my drive to UEFI later, but i just want to make sure the new mobo can boot it).

I tried to google this but it was impossible with the terms BIOS and UEFI being used interchangeably... even their manual used the word bios incorrectly.... leading to confusion.

I'm almost always using MBR on new mobos and I've never had any issues but all depends from motherboard. Sometimes moving drives is working, sometimes not. I will only tell you that for tests I'm often using the same drive and OS ( Win10 ) on 2-3 motherboards ( X99, Z170 and earlier was moved from Z77 ).
If you have problems with booting then disable safe boot or change boot queue. In UEFI mode there is additional option with windows boot loader which usually has to be 1st option but not always. Anyway you won't know for sure till you check it yourself.

Other thing is that when you move Win10 to other motherboard then you will have to activate it again. If you had group license based on Win7/8 and upgraded it to Win10 then it's nearly impossible.

I know this is an old thread but i'm resurrecting it to post the answer.

The z170-A and all ASUS motherboards (And presumably all new motherboards, but please make sure by reading the manual) have a "Legacy bios" support mode where it will load the old-school bios if you don't have UEFI.

So yes, your new mobo will support legacy bios, most likely.

Back