• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Wind0ws 7 asks for username and password when trying to connect with router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sams

Registered
Hello everybody,
I´ve got a little problem with the internetconnection of a friend.
He is running Win7 64bit Home and uses a simple Wlan-USBstick
The stick supports WAP.
The router came from the provider and uses WAP.Its is not possible to change this.

Now here comes the problem.
The network/router is found, and when trying to connect Windows asks for a username and a password.

Windows Security, Network Authentification

Similar to this screen(not the PC I´m talking about :) )
http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx270/quinnvanorder/screenshot.png
We tried everything:
- Windows User
- SSID + WAP Key
- SSID + Router PW
- Router User + PW
- Windowsuser + SSID/Routerpw

I also tried to setup the network manualy.

The point is, i don´t have an option to turn of the varification of the certificate or something similar.
When i go to Change connection settings -->Security, the only options are WAP/WEP etc and to enter the Key. Nothing else.

I also tried setting it up using the AdminAcc, but didn´t work neither.

Help highly appriciated

Last edited:
Hi, no indeed i didn´t tried that. And as password?

Hi, no indeed i didn´t tried that. And as password?

Didn´t work :/
Tried WAP-Key as password, the passwod of the router and the WindowsAcc pw.

I found out, that it isn´t a real router, ist a modem with WLAN

http://www.alice-wiki.de/Alice_Modem_1121_WLAN

In German, but maybe it helps.

Basicly it says:
- WPA2
- routermode can only be adjusted by the support of the provider

Thanks

Last edited:
How did you do the username? In Windows 7, I found that I need to include the computer's name along with the username. As such, if the computer I was connecting to was called "Thideras-main" and my username was "thideras", I would use this:

Username: Thideras-main\thideras
Password: ***********

Notable examples are LogMeIn. Took me a while to figure that one out. :-/

If that doesn't work, it likely doesn't have access to the computer and is probably not setup right to allow access. It may also have issues with Windows 7 in general if it is an older router. I'm not sure what has changed since then, but I'll bet something has.

Hm, so if I´m connecting to the Modem the Username should be:

SSID+Username or the Computername I´m on+ Username?

Thanks alot

Wow, I totally didn't understand what you were talking about, sorry for the confusion.

What kind of security is enabled on the router? Connecting wirelessly should not look like that. You mention "WAP", which just means it is a Wireless Access Point. That isn't the type of security. This almost looks as if you have it setup for a domain. :-/

Can you provide screenshots of the router configuration, blanking out information that shouldn't be shared?

@thideras: .... ofc I ment WPA not WAP :/

Ok, problem solved.
I have to admit, that I don´t realy know why or how but kk.

I downloaded new drivers for the WLAN-Stick, and after installing a second WLAN connection appeared. When I disabled one of them the new one dissapeared and the old one was show as dissabled.

No matter what, with the new connection enabled it works.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Glad to hear you figured it out. That is very odd, indeed.

Back