• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It was what the Microsoft Media Creation Tool gave me. :shrug:

I'm back up with most of my files intact, but my installed apps gone.

I just had a time with the last install, seems as though I had too much custom crap.

Back up here too, customizing back to where I want to be a little at a time.

Edit: too much custom as in windows looked so different at first

Adding my 2 cents. 1607 installed fine for me as an update. Everything is more or less as it was. The new UI seems better to me but no BSODs or bad things. Interesting to me was the fact after the install I had 3 more gigs of free space I did not have with 1511. ymmv

Z

Beware that may not be 1607 too...

Where is this 1607? It's patch Tuesday, I see nothing in SCCM. :shrug:

Random MS blog post said:
If you have already deployed Windows 10 and use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and/or System Center Configuration Manager servicing plans, you can get the Windows 10, version 1607 update on August 16th.

thumbdown.gif

I found this on CNET
The Media Creation Tool has not been updated to include the Anniversary Update, so if you attempt to update your system using media created with this tool, you will simply end up re-installing Windows 10. UPDATE: The Media Creation Tool has been updated to include build 14393.0. Note that this is not the final release build of the Anniversary Update, which is build 14393.1.
Explains a lot.

When they actually get the final build put up for download, I'll reformat my drive and install 1511 then update to 1607 to get rid of any legacy code from win7. Looks like it's going to be a week or two until that happens.

Why not just a fresh install of the latest? Format the drive, install windows. It doesn't get much more fresh than that! :)

Why not just a fresh install of the latest? Format the drive, install windows. It doesn't get much more fresh than that! :)
9/10 people should - but the ones who won't - tend to hang out on forums like this one, mod their Windows, and use modded drivers.

Installing 1511 FIRST and then updating to any build thereafter "grandfathers" in modded drivers.
If you install 1607 or any newer build FIRST, new nrestrictions apply as far as modded drivers go. If you only use drivers from large companies which paid Microsoft to certify them, then none of this applies to you.

If you don't or if you just want to have options, install 1511 FIRST, then Windows Update itself will eventually update you to newer builds, but new restrictions will not apply because your starting point is 1511, which grandfathers in your old options.

Modded drivers? LOL, yeah, that is a bit beyond me and 99/100 people HERE. That is a good reason though for those 'one off' type people. For the other 99.99% that dont mod drivers, wipe and install.

I'm thankful I don't have the requirements that cause all these shenanigans you all are putting yourselves through.

Last edited:
If we were on a Hello Kitty forum, I would be in agreement with you.
But people who mod Windows, mod drivers, mod BIOSes, where else would they post but here?

Of course most people don't modify anything and take what they are given.

But can you even begin to imagine what it would be like if someone went to a Hot Rod forum all bewildered at someone modding a 1968 Ford Mustang!?!
Being all like, "you know the Ford dealership will not support what you are doing one bit..."
Why don't you just buy a 2016 car? That's what I do... you know? That's what most people do.. you know?

That was exactly the attitude in the Windows XP on 2016 Skylake motherboards thread yesterday.
But this forum (also) *exists* so we can talk about modifications of computer hardware and software.

The entire concept of benching is foreign to 99.99% of people, to use your numbers.
But you wouldn't go over there and tell them how most people don't do that.
But it's okay to continuously point out in the Windows section, how most people wipe and install... and comments of similar nature?

Of course they do and of course they should. But us Windows modders have nowhere else to go but right here, and what we do is no different, in the big picture, than car modding or benching.

It's always better to have the maximum options possible if it's within your power to ensure you get them. To do or not to do it are both equally valid.

Firefox > Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled...
just to see if an add-on is responsible, if yes, isolate which one.

I just asked a question, got an answer, and responded. I am not sure what you took away from that response was what intended to come out of it...let me try again. :)

C6 - Thanks for answering my question on why one would want to take the time to install and old version of windows and update. I did not know that. After carefully considering your post, I believe this is good information for the few (I think 1 of 10 would be considered few, right?) that would use it. I am glad that I do not modify my drivers, or windows, or my BIOS (people mod mobo BIOS?!!!), to have to warrant such an activity.

Better?

EDIT: I checked that XP thread you were talking about, and I really don't see what your issue is there outside of people (one.. trents?) not seeing it how you see it... which is OK. I posted once and tried to help...

Anyway, with the latest build you lose the ability to mod windows functions? Which ones? And you lose the ability to mod BIOS? I really had no idea. Do you have any links that cover those kinds of changes? I would be interested in reading it.

Last edited:
That page only lets you download the small creation file.
The download is launched by the creation tool.
So theoretically, if someone who just downloaded 1607 posted the small media tool creation file they used, that would allow them to download 1607?

@ed: 1607 imposes at least two new restrictions. One on unsigned drivers and the other one on GPEDIT. I've seen the links somewhere on the forum but I do not have them myself. It does not impose restrictions on modded BIOSes, the reason I put BIOS in bold is because of an internal thing between you and me. I really wanted to mod an old BIOS and couldn't get help in the general section of the forum, and I posted it in the Senior Members Blue Room where you removed it because it also existed in the general section, but my Senior Member friends who rarely hang out there will not see it in the general section of the forums and so there will never be a chance for them to help me. I can't describe to you how upset I am about that, it would have made no difference if you allowed my BIOS modding thread to stand in the Blue Room as well. I think about that often, but can't do anything about that.

Back