• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thid, do you have to install an unsigned driver before 1607 to keep it in 1607 or can you upgrade to 1607 without installing it first... This is important because that effectively would mean no future installs...

Thid, do you have to install an unsigned driver before 1607 to keep it in 1607 or can you upgrade to 1607 without installing it first... This is important because that effectively would mean no future installs...
I'm not sure, but the phrasing I've seen from Microsoft says you can install it after the upgrade (for now). I don't have any to test with.

Found this (from an [H] post) in regards to disabling Cortana, something I've been itching to do. I had it in an 'unconfigured' state until now. Took maybe 10 seconds.

Found this (from an [H] post) in regards to disabling Cortana, something I've been itching to do. I had it in an 'unconfigured' state until now. Took maybe 10 seconds.

Dont forget to reset it after updates (I think). Perhaps something like this can be automated or set in a powershell script? Take a backup of your registry and re-apply it after any update?

Has anyone been impacted by this "freeze bug" negatively? I'm going to start updating my images for this new 1607 crapzor. Please let me know of these experiences, if you have them.

Has anyone been impacted by this "freeze bug" negatively? I'm going to start updating my images for this new 1607 crapzor. Please let me know of these experiences, if you have them.

I had 5 out 0f 9 days frozen (as in locking up solid, nothing minor, full lockups), nothing relevant was ever logged that I could find, rolled back to 1511 on Sunday last (day 9 of 1607) and then re-imaged back to W7.

A few hours later I found the posts referring to what I assume was 'my' problem, using the decade+ old MS option to move the 'Special folders'. Well, I'm very happy keeping my data well clear of the System drive, much easier to deal with any issues, backups, etc. Perhaps, for those using multiple drives like me, moving back the Special folders to their default locations before upgrading to 1607 would minimise the chances of hitting whatever else might be triggering the freeze bug.

So I was talking to an old coworker on Friday and they said in their testing they couldn't move to the AU because of an issue with file servers and copying files. In the AU Microsoft removed or greatly extended the max file length. Unfortunately it doesn't work if the file servers can't handle it and it made their machines freak out.

O yeah. Got the 1607 upgrade pushed out while I slept. Woke up the next morning and my OS would freeze or fail to boot every time. Only way it would work was in Safe Mode. Ended up having to do a clean fresh install with the Windows Media Creation Tool. After about 4-5 attempts it finally took and I'm up and running. Definitely make sure you have backups / images ready before going to 1607.

So disappointing. Guess I'm hanging out on stable TH1, THX whatever the hell it's called. Thanks fellas. :thup:

But how will you hang on to an older Windows 10 build and still get security updates?

But how will you hang on to an older Windows 10 build and still get security updates?

SCCM Updates :D. Who knows, I just know I'm not dealing with something that doesnt work. As MS has shown us so many times, they will figure it out in the next patch. :rolleyes:

I think the main problem with 1607 is that it breaks win7>winten updated systems. Once I had a winten clean install base, it worked.

That's an interesting theory! I'd like to see/hear about more data sets and see if it holds true!

It's interesting how they mention monetary compensation, presumably from the US government for telemetry related features. But less nefarious reasons aka the Google Business model of capturing data is probably more of a cash cow 🐮 for Microsoft.

It's interesting how they mention monetary compensation, presumably from the US government for telemetry related features. But less nefarious reasons aka the Google Business model of capturing data is probably more of a cash cow  for Microsoft.

I've been noticing a pattern. For a guy that says he is not pro M$, you spend an awful lot of time defending them. :sly:

It's called being fair.
Otherwise it's personal. And plenty of people on the forums seem to have it in for Microsoft on a personal level. :D

It's called being fair.
Otherwise it's personal. And plenty of people on the forums seem to have it in for Microsoft on a personal level. :D

Fair enough. :)
I personally do not have anything against M$, but I will call a spade a spade, and win10 isn't making M$ many friends.

Back