• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just wanted to say again how inconveniences on Windows 10 are dwarfed by inconveniences on progressive versions of Google Android.
Privacy concerns over Microsoft data gathering are also dwarfed by Google in that arena too...

Parallels:
This evening I broke down and went back to Galaxy S4 on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
Any advantages of my Samsung Galaxy devices that were newer were not enough to offset the new restrictions of not being able to:
• have a removable battery
• have a removable micro SD card
• USB Mass Storage Mode allowing old devices on old Google OS to sync a thousand (!) times faster than new ones
• be able to use limitless external storage for apps and programs
• be able to use custom apps like alarm clocks which we are used to and like, which no longer work because they cannot wake new devices out of their fancy super doze mode to sound the alarms any more
• legally root/unlock devices we overpaid for, so that we can use them where and how we choose

Well guess what, I notice no difference on a Galaxy S4 except for all the Google restrictions being gone.
Life is better without new restricted devices because the frustration factor is gone.
The president of the United States uses a Galaxy 4 (with extra layers of security, but a GS4 nevertheless).

Therefore, on the Microsoft side, why should we go to Kaby Lake and Zen? To get that extra 10% in return for complete loss of ability to have a frustration free computing experience?

Whoever complains should be reminded that older hardware is right there and that it is good enough.
Unless you don't have a choice, and that's where the real problem is going to be.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it worked fine until a forced update to Android v6. My carrier doesn't have a removable sim chip so rooting it might be a problem. I wish I could just roll back and lock it down to v5.

I used gpedit to prevent winten build 1607 from automatically downloading updates, but I left some updates waiting for download to see what happens if you don't promptly apply their update schedule. Now there is a screen lock event with a magenta download button telling you that you NEED, not Should click that button and start the download process. The only way to shut off that GUI is to hit ctrl + alt + del to log off and log back on. If you are in the middle of something when this happens, you won't be able to save any data before logging off. This occurs on a daily basis now. I'm going to let this go on for a while to see how much MS escalates this feature if I don't comply.

Something to test, if you can: that lock screen only locks (locked, I had it with 1511, not seen it in 1607) the main screen on a multi-screen setup, I have TaskMan loading straight after boot on my 2nd screen and could kill the offending Process easily.

Just a reminder. If any new behavior occurs, it really helps to actually post that we went into the registry and actually confirmed that the settings in question were not *reset* because that can and does happen by virtue of going to Windows Update.
The theory is that this does happen with every new major build installed but there is no reason for this not to happen by virtue of simply visiting the Windows Update page in the future...

Remember, this is no longer the case with the latest build, but they actually installed updates and reset custom reg entries if you simply *visited* the Windows 10 Update page in previous Windows 10 builds. And did nothing but check for updates, period.
Therefore the constant question that always comes to mind is: did you actually physically confirm that GPEDIT setting in question had not been reset by Microsoft Update?

Microsoft listed some GPEDIT entries that are now newly locked to modifications as of the latest build. They did not list that one, officially.

ive just let mine run auto updates, no issues with any so far, and a lot less hassle too.

I'll create another screen and see if I can switch during the primary screen lock event. It even locks out Task manager on the same screen. You can invoke task manager, but can't access it.

Something else to test for us ;)

If you can access the TaskBar, I think it's accessible in Locked mode, you can right-click on the TaskMan area and select Move to shift it to the open screen with the Arrow keys. Don't combine the screens into one, eg. 3840x1200, the Locked mode is likely to affect both.

Also, you might be able to add the second screen after the Lock event, providing Windows doesn't want confirmation of how you'd like to use it before enabling it - and then Move TM across. (Based on a quick skim through a blog post last night about a recent Credentials heist method using a USB NIC 'thing' at the Login Lock screen.)

Something to test, if you can: that lock screen only locks (locked, I had it with 1511, not seen it in 1607) the main screen on a multi-screen setup, I have TaskMan loading straight after boot on my 2nd screen and could kill the offending Process easily.

The lock shows up on all desktops and invoking task manager is useless. You can't touch any controls on the screen except for the download button on that update lock GUI.

Okay, so I'll put it down as 1511 only, patched by 1607. Shame, but thanks for trying and reporting back.

Finally went through the "Feature update for 1607" (TH2, THX whatever it's called) on SCCM. It was not too bad, but once again, another WSUS / Windoze servicing / SCCM snafu with hotfixes vs deployment.

Couple of things which happened to me, just thought I would mention.

1. Make sure you apply 3159706 to your WSUS server BEFORE you start attempting to use Windows 10 Servicing! If you do not heed these words, there is a bunch of PS / SQL commands you will need to run against your server to remove already downloaded info pertaining to 1607. Also, if you already went through enabling Windows servicing (it really wasnt working anyway :D), DELETE IT, create a new one.

2. BE SURE to have the group policy "Defer Upgrades" / Not Configured OR Disabled - learned this the hard way (sorta). After realizing the WSUS was bonked (and correcting it), I still did not see the "Feature updates" nor were they coming down to the client. I remember when I was on my MS privacy kick with W10, I made sure I disabled / enabled a bunch of "lock down" policies to prevent WUAU from hitting my workstations. This was a critical one. I broke Defer upgrades into 2 x GPOs now to handle this situation.

Now for testing this new iteration ...:rolleyes: It's also been pretty quiet on this new version, is this good news OR are we just fed up? (prolly due to football season lol)

There is certainly plenty to say about the new version.
It's difficult to avoid it since Windows 10 updates cannot be applied selectively, easily.
I force-updated to the latest version through this official Microsoft page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

The Anniversary Update immediately hosed my expensive HD web cam, and I immediately found out that the Anniversary Update broke millions of cameras out there too.
Logitech says
Thank you for your inquiry. We are sorry that you're experiencing an issue with your Logitech webcam.
We have discovered that this is linked to a change Microsoft made in the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition where support of compressed MJPG and H.264 streams for webcams was dropped.
Microsoft is working on an update to address the issue, but at this time we do not have an estimate for when it will be available.

It's pretty incredible that since Windows 10 Anniversary Update was released to the public on August 2, 2016, this major bug has not been fixed, and here we are in mid October 2016. Windows 10 still doesn't have an official fix for the web cams it hosed, millions and millions of them... :)

Straight away I noticed this gem: Titles of all windows are no longer centered in Windows 10 Build 1607 - Anniversary Update. They accidentally moved titles of all windows all the way to the left so they now interfere with Program User Menus. It's more than puzzling that this wasn't noticed in Betas. It's just impossible to believe no report was filed on this by anyone.

Other than web cam breaking and Windows Titles not being centered but unnaturally displayed on the left side, there doesn't appear to be anything else worthy of complaints or praise from average user perspective.

..Windows 10 Anniversary Edition where support of compressed MJPG and H.264 streams for webcams was dropped.

..Other than web cam breaking and Windows Titles not being centered but unnaturally displayed on the left side, there doesn't appear to be anything else worthy of complaints or praise from average user perspective.

Does this mean TMPGEnc is now broken? Sold my Logitech web cam a while ago. However, the encoding issue is a deal breaker for my main machine, I will have to test it before migrating. (even tho you point out it's just cam streams) Thanks c6! :thup:

This is why we don't like the new Microsoft non selective update model. This will be the norm for all versions of windoze 7/8/10.

I run GPU_FAH on a finely tuned driver selection for maximum production performance. Often the MS driver sux.

Can I update and then uninstall just the offending driver?

Attachments

• winten forced  driver updates.jpg
    winten forced driver updates.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 89
Last I checked, you cannot prevent a problem from going through at least once, but the procedure is to
1. Find out the hard way that a driver is a problem.
2. Only then manually disable/uninstall/revert back.
3. Only then permanently disable *future* re-installation of something that was already installed and already messed things up.

Please post if the latest Windows 10 build still allows you to do all this.
You should be able to figure out how to disable/uninstall/revert back but post if you can't.

I thought there was a way to prevent microsoft/windows update from suggesting drivers in Windows 10

I thought there was a way to prevent microsoft/windows update from suggesting drivers in Windows 10

It is ridiculous this is not clear (not a fault of your own J67 lol), but it is my understanding the only fool proof way to avoid updates is to have a domain.

When you go to Windows 10 Update, it is all or nothing. I don't think that's unclear...
Only after you install ALL from Windows 10 Update, only then you can remove individual driver that already messed up your system.

Back