• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm thinking if I lets this install, I can go to driver properties and revert back to 'last driver'. That's if you can still do this now.

I'll shut down FAH to prevent any WUs from getting trashed by the new driver. I only want official drivers from the OEM, not a generic MS cookie cutter derivation for the oblivious masses. I went through several drivers from AMD until I found a fully stable one that didn't error out and trash WUs or crash frequently. :mad:

I tried this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/

We'll see how well it works. It was the only one that seems to agree with the new way 1607 menus are set up.

Last edited:
Please correct me if I am wrong but those directions clearly say that "you can prevent the problematic driver from reinstalling..."

REinstalling, which means after the damage is done, you disable/uninstall/revert back then prevent installation *again*, but you can't just selectively install/not install every download like you could before.

I'm going to wait and see if that pink nagging GUI comes back if I don't allow updates. Is there an alternative source of updates where you can pick only critical security updates? Win7/8/10?

Well it came back, but this time it's blue. I think it's triggered by the amount of updates stacked up and not just time. I'm getting locked out of my winten pro OS because I won't install a generic graphics driver.

MS thinks they have me by the short hairs. They only have some pocket lint lol.

:mad:

This is the driver info on what was forced on me:

Code:
Display device       : AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Display driver       : Crimson 16.6

Well it came back, but this time it's blue. I think it's triggered by the amount of updates stacked up and not just time. I'm getting locked out of my winten pro OS because I won't install a generic graphics driver.

MS thinks they have me by the short hairs. They only have some pocket lint lol.

:mad:

Locked out? Like not even able to log in all because you didn't install MS's drivers for your GPU?

Locked out? Like not even able to log in all because you didn't install MS's drivers for your GPU?

You either click on the GUI button to start the download/installation of the updates or you ctrl+alt+del to invoke your only actionable choice to sign off and then sign back on to temporarily release your PC from that GUI lock.

I have a rule that I'm the one in control of my PC. If an OS differs, it's time to either fix the OS or replace it with one that will allow me to be in control. Still hoping for a fix on winten, but Linux has always been a viable option for me.

Never installing any updates is non-starter. It is not an option.
So with Windows 10, there is only one option for us and one option only: Completely disable Updates and download them manually, and when you do, you have no choice but to download all.

You cannot selectively download them. That has always been the case since Windows 10 inception, I am very surprised that to this day people I meet do not get that.

You are getting nagged because you did not completely disable Windows 10 Updates.
So keeping in mind that it's always all or nothing with Windows 10, you have two choices:
1. Download ALL whenever Windows 10 feels like it.
2. Download ALL when you feel like it.

Your have chosen option 1.
There is no way around option 1 other than selecting option 2. Download ALL when you feel like it.

There is no option 3. Download some, but not all, in Windows 10.

Microsoft improves Windows updates
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/42028-microsoft-improves-windows-updates-with-uup

Currently, Microsoft's updating method requires new builds to be installed over existing ones as in-place upgrades, often in the form of 4GB ISO files. The company will begin switching to differential downloading packages that only contain the changes that have been made since the last device update, rather than the full build. This will allow the download size of a major build to shrink by about 35 percent, and is particularly important for mobile devices.

The unmentioned question is, does this mean that they will no longer be hosing Windows 10 modifications, which were reset with every build upgrade up till now?
I mean as of today, you can only set up Windows 10 (meaning modify registry settings which limit telemetry and things of that nature) until the next major build, which would reset everything of that nature (not just telemetry which third-party apps also handle)... Looking forward to finding that out.... But Redstone 2 (next major build) is due in five months so I guess we will find out then.
But then again maybe not, since maybe we'll have to deal with everything being reset one more time with Redstone 2 and only thereafter this change would kick in?

In any case, nothing is certain but it would definitely be a step in the right direction if Windows 10 simply gave us as much or as little Update Headaches as Windows 8 does. That's all we ask for.
Maybe by the time Windows 8 reaches End Of Life, they will finally give us an option to keep our Windows 10 modifications and not fret over them every time we go to Windows Update?
Either way, I thought this was good news...

* Start > File Explorer > [wait for it to show up, then] Right click on This PC > Properties > Advanced system settings > Hardware TAB > Device Installation Settings > SELECT: No (Never install driver software from Windows Update.) > See to UNCHECK anything else here > Save changes > OK.

* Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Disabled [Windows Update will not check for new updates automatically.]

Non-Pro users should look for a registry setting that accomplishes the same thing. If they find it, post which one it is because I'd like to have that in my notes.

If all else fails, you always have this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Did you check out my link for that 2cpu.com thread?

Sheesh I just read this link and they are bashing 2016 Server. I have a few 2016 servers in my environment and have not experienced anything this individual speaks about. (maybe a corrupt ISO / image) Soon it will be forest upgrading time, I am sure I will encounter some madness, but as always will report it here. :thup:

I am using the same method to prevent the telemetry, contact sharing through GP inheritance as I have done in the W10 workstation space.

Not remembering specifics, but know for sure I documented it in the beginning of this thread. Anywho I did notice in the "Update & Privacy" area of 2016 Server IS NOT telling me "..settings are managed by your organization.." - doesnt mean it's not working, but I find it hard to believe a similar type of warning would not exist on Server 2016. Also when doing a rsop on the server, I do notice the GPOs are being applied. (BUT are they working lol)

Regardless, I applied the most recent admx files to determine if this is the reason. I HAVE NOT done enough testing on the new GPO templates to share my experience. However, I have not seen any of this behavior of crashing desktop on the server side. It is also not explained how the 2cpu poster is removing these settings, based on other posts, it sounds more like registry hacking.

I am watching WAN network behavior from W10 vs Server 2016 and at this time I see no difference between the 2. Telemetry is set in GPO as "Basic". ALL changes (even registry modifications - IMO) should be deployed via GPO in an enterprise domain.

One of the hardest, most difficult things to do is turn of Windows 10 Defender in order to use a (much) better security software of your choice.
It's not impossible but I just don't see 9/10 people figuring it out, it's very deceptive, even if you find them, you don't realize that by turning those features off, you haven't permanently turned them off at all. Eugene Kaspersky just launched an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft over Windows 10 uninstalling user-installed apps and replacing them with standard Microsoft ones.

Kaspersky says Microsoft gives developers only a 1 week (!) warning. Then Microsoft conveniently uninstalls competition apps, if they don't change code and if that changed code is not downloaded and installed on Windows 10 computers in a span of a less than one week.

Something has just happened, they decided to mess with the the command line (cmd) in the latest Windows 10 build.
I don't have it installed yet but it appears that they are getting rid of the cmd line and replacing it with power shell...

I don't think this is going to go over well with people who have been using automated command lines since Windows begun.
I am not 100% about what they have done but they did mess with the command prompt in some way and some people are saying it's like "waking up and finding out that they suddenly took away the spelling and grammar checks in Office overnight...."
I don't know what is going on exactly but why would they mess with the cmd prompt, this can't go over well if cmd functionality is affected in any way...

Back