• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10-->power options-->turn off hard disk setting for SSDs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

In Windows 10 does the "Power Options --> Advanced settings --> turn off hard disk after" have any affect on SSDs? If so, what would be the best time delay to use?

In theory it works. In real, SSD life depends mainly on writes (and luck as it may die randomly), so you can set it to never turn off. If it's a backup drive then you can set it to 10 minutes or something so it will turn off after the backup task. On the other hand, when SSD is in idle mode then TRIM and other self clean/repair technologies are active so turning it off is not the best idea.

I don't imagine it has any value for an SSD. For HDDs, IIRC, it was to save the motor and head.

As Woomack said, SSDs need to TRIM and they do that when idle. I'd just leave them set at default.

All my Samsung SSDs support HIPM+DIPM so perhaps this is what the "...turn off hard disk after" setting in Windows 10 implements once the timer has expired. In power settings it used to be possible to specify what type of "...turn off hard disk after" method was used (i.e. HIPM, DIPM or HIPM+DIPM) when the timer expired.
Devsleep is where the real power savings are though (from 70mW down to 10mW).
If DIPM was specified as the only method I'd think the SSD wouldn't put itself in idle mode unless it had performed all its housekeeping (e.g. TRIM commands).

Yes... so... why would you change anything from default?
What are the default settings for DIPM and HIPM though? I don't even have access to those settings in advanced power settings anymore.

OTOH, HIPM and DIPM look like they control AHCI Link Power Management, so maybe they have nothing to do with turning off an HDD or SSD at all.

If your using M.2 or anything like that, then yes put the SSD drives to sleep to keep them cool when not in use.

Back