• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 SP1 Officially Out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the only reason i have to strip win 7 is for my netbook. its a dell mini 9 with a 8gb ssd.... so i gotta trim it down as much as possible as every MB counts.... if i had a netbook with a normal hdd id be running a full install of win 7.

i tried to do a post sp1 install on the same iso as im running on my netbook and couldnt install sp1 as it didnt have the necessary components.... so it seems like my netbook is gonna stay non sp1 till i need it hahahahah.

What do you strip?

LOTS of stuff haha.... pretty much just go through everything one by one... if i dont need it i get rid of it... if i dont know what it is and it sounds important i leave it.

my original win 7 pro strip for my netbook uses all of 2.6GB

so far im down to 3.12GB using rt7lite... just going through and stripping more and more till i get under 3gb.

the major things are all the extra drivers (nvidia, ati, printers scanners etc etc) as well as stuff like internet explorer, media center, media player.

Like i said theres zero reason to stip win 7 if you have the room for it as the stripped versions are no faster than the full.

One thing I really like about a fresh install is that Win7 detects and installs pretty much everything out of the box so you have a working system. Put it on a friend's laptop and everything worked from the start. A heck of a lot better than her Vista installation it replaced. I updated it to sp1 a few days later without a hitch :thup:

Sure beats the 50 something updates that popped up after the initial OS install :rolleyes:

I think the biggest performance improvements came from the lack of all the typical crap-ware that laptops have installed on them. By the time you yank it all out of the original installation, the OS seems to have some damage from the leftover bits and pieces and holes left behind.

Last edited:
One thing I really like about a fresh install is that Win7 detects and installs pretty much everything out of the box so you have a working system. Put it on a friend's laptop and everything worked from the start. A heck of a lot better than her Vista installation it replaced. I updated it to sp1 a few days later without a hitch :thup:

Sure beats the 50 something updates that popped up after the initial OS install :rolleyes:

I think the biggest performance improvements came from the lack of all the typical crap-ware that laptops have installed on them. By the time you yank it all out of the original installation, the OS seems to have some damage from the leftover bits and pieces and holes left behind.

i will 110% agree with the crapware on laptops.... it seems like OEMs load up the llaptops with all this crazy ****ty software... more so then oem desktops... its nutz... and even after you uninstall it, it just doesnt feel right.

typically whenever i get a new OEM (for parents or friends) i will do a full reinstall of windows with a retail disk... so no bloatware.

And yes, windows 7 is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to drivers.... makes life at work so easy when you have to do a win 7 install... install os run windows update and 90% of the time you dont have to deal with any type of drivers ahha.

As far as I am concerned, Vista was the Win 7 beta.

:D

Q F T!

win 7 is what vista shoulda been... but vista was rushed, and we alll know how that ended up.

Note... win 7 sp1 installs are AWESOME. more drivers, updated drivers.... literally installed it on a buddies comp.... only one driver was needed.... and it was found through windows update.

Q F T!

win 7 is what vista shoulda been... but vista was rushed, and we alll know how that ended up.

To be fair there aren't massive functional differences between Vista and Win7. The largest difference is in perception, since hardware vendors finally started making compatable drivers 3 years later, and computer speed doubled and memory prices halved.

So in other words yeah Win7 has some incramental improvements which make it awesome, but Vista isn't as terrible as some people remembered it either.

... im sorry but win 7 is FAR more efficient than vista. there is NO way vista would run nearly as good as win 7 pro does on my netbook.

To be fair there aren't massive functional differences between Vista and Win7. The largest difference is in perception, since hardware vendors finally started making compatable drivers 3 years later, and computer speed doubled and memory prices halved.

So in other words yeah Win7 has some incramental improvements which make it awesome, but Vista isn't as terrible as some people remembered it either.

Now when everyone was basically taking a leak all over Vista I embraced it. Though I have to say Win7 is definatly cleaner than Vista was. I just see a difference on my low powered server/HTPC that I have, where Vista can chug with it, Win7 has very little issues dealing with it, wish I had another copy of it so I could drop it on that box actually.

Depends on how you look at it. Numbers: Gautam ran benchmark tests actually found Vista beating others. Numbers don't lie.

Real life: I have a triple Win7/XP/Vista boot with identical programs installed and Vista is by far the biggest dog of the three as far as what I can "feel".

Depends on how you look at it. Numbers: Gautam ran benchmark tests actually found Vista beating others. Numbers don't lie.

Real life: I have a triple Win7/XP/Vista boot with identical programs installed and Vista is by far the biggest dog of the three as far as what I can "feel".

I agree about real life vs benchmarks. Last spring I did an upgrade from vista to win7 on my laptop, NOT even a fresh install and immediately felt like things ran smoother. Also fyi just installed sp1 with no problems

How's everybody finding this SP? I've been hesitating...
Can't be bothered with it until it's solid (ie partitioning etc). It should be on MS, not me, to ensure it's a solid SP across a broad HW range.

I found a small bug in Server 2008, but no problems with Win7 so far. And to be fair the problem in 2008 is with RemoteFx which is a new feature; not an old feature that was broken by SP1.

I did clean installs of both.

Anyone seen W7 SP1 OEM (or Family Pack) media for sale yet? I haven't found any as of now and I'm itching to by a few more W7 licenses.

Just upgraded and re-installed on a PC for my parents over the weekend, and the W7 install > SP1 update went well (offline installer), but I'd prefer to get the full W7 SP1 OEM version when it's available (I can wait until it's released, but when can I expect it?)...

How's everybody finding this SP? I've been hesitating...
Can't be bothered with it until it's solid (ie partitioning etc). It should be on MS, not me, to ensure it's a solid SP across a broad HW range.

i have had my main rig runnin sp1 since it came out on technet on the 16th... have had zero issues... also installed sp1 on multiple laptops and desktops at work... both post win 7 install... and fresh sp1 install... and havnt had any issues. It also seems like they added more built in drivers / updated drivers as well... which makes life REAL nice when doing a fresh install on a laptop / desktop without a recovery partition.

i haven't had any problems with sp1 yet but i also have kept all of my systems up to date so i doubt that it changed too much. also, i don't actually use windows all that much when i am home and at work, it is still winxp :rolleyes: so i may not be the best person to notice things that may have been broken by sp1. the installs went smooth on all both win7 x86 & x64 as well as on 2008 r2.

As said before, image your operating system partition before doing any driver/windows updates. If anything goes wrong, it will be apparent soon after updating. For most people, nothing went wrong.

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 appears to have been tested thoroughly and any problems appear to be system unique and are in the minority.

I just tested it and when using RT Se7en Lite 2.6.0, to avoid problems,

1. Install the program to its default directory and
2. Have the original Windows 7 ISO file and the Service Pack 1 file in the root directory of the drive and not deep inside multiple folders.

If anyone is registered over at RT Se7en Lite web page, they should alert them to these two bugs if they are not aware of them.

i almost forgot about this thread... i was able to integrate sp1 after retrieving brand new ISOs from our software repository :shrug:

Back