• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows ME error, PLZ help..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgm6780

Registered
Now for some reason I get the blue screen of death on boot up, with the error msg

VMM(01) +0000FC82

ERROR : OD : 0028 : C0010C82

then when I hit enter to continue I get a msg saying windll32 has caused an error in windll32.exe and will now close.

I have no idea what happened or how to fix it, please help. The Microsoft site couldnt help, couldnt find my problem in the FAQ, sent them an email, still waiting on a reply. One of the FAQ on windll32 said something to the effect that the error that caused the problem (not my exact one , but one involving windll32, was caused by system.cb replacing system.ini , so I looked and I have system.cb in my Windows directory - not sure if thats normal or not just noticed it cause of that FAQ)

thanks
Mr. Frustrated

dgm6780 said:
Now for some reason I get the blue screen of death on boot up, with the error msg

VMM(01) +0000FC82

ERROR : OD : 0028 : C0010C82

then when I hit enter to continue I get a msg saying windll32 has caused an error in windll32.exe and will now close.

I have no idea what happened or how to fix it, please help. The Microsoft site couldnt help, couldnt find my problem in the FAQ, sent them an email, still waiting on a reply. One of the FAQ on windll32 said something to the effect that the error that caused the problem (not my exact one , but one involving windll32, was caused by system.cb replacing system.ini , so I looked and I have system.cb in my Windows directory - not sure if thats normal or not just noticed it cause of that FAQ)

thanks
Mr. Frustrated

Play around in msconfig(start>run, "msconfig", OK), turning stuff on and off. First try killing autoexec.bat and config.sys.

hmmm, maybe someone here has WinME and can give you their windll32...

I really wasnt looking for a $140 + answer like upgrade to XP pro

ahhhhh ya baby, found the 0$ answer, and it had nothing to do with my OS, I have been perfectly happy with ME. Downloaded Norton AV (not sure why I didnt have an anti-virus scanner on this computer, I have had over 5 months) and it turns out I had the W95.CH virus, and its a total biatch. But I think Norton has finally knocked it out. WHEW

NOob

Boot into safe mode and run system restore .

Install windows on top of windows ...

Da Whip said:
Very simple, lose ME. The O/S totally sucks. Go back to 98SE or upgrade to XP Pro. I would not bother with the Home Editon.

Sorry Pal, but that is the easiest way to fix the problem. I would go the XP route.
for your information win98se to reaks for overclocking.

dgm6780 said:
ahhhhh ya baby, found the 0$ answer, and it had nothing to do with my OS, I have been perfectly happy with ME. Downloaded Norton AV (not sure why I didnt have an anti-virus scanner on this computer, I have had over 5 months) and it turns out I had the W95.CH virus, and its a total biatch. But I think Norton has finally knocked it out. WHEW

NOob

Downloaded? How much did that cost ya?

I use norton too but the best way to completely get rid of a virus is too fdisk it. have you heard of zone alarms great program and it's freeware. if I don't use it within2 or 3 days I will get a virus.

res0r9lm said:
I use norton too but the best way to completely get rid of a virus is too fdisk it. have you heard of zone alarms great program and it's freeware. if I don't use it within2 or 3 days I will get a virus.
what? how does that happen? u need to run a proggie or a script to get infected. the main thing ZA protects against is network and port scans. The XP firewall is nowhere near great, but it gets the job done.
ZA screws with my comp. sometimes the internet will just stop working 4 no reason and even though it is unlocked in ZA.
after i uninstall and remove the registry entries its fine again. wierd
-Malakai

Da Whip said:
Very simple, lose ME. The O/S totally sucks. Go back to 98SE or upgrade to XP Pro. I would not bother with the Home Editon.

Sorry Pal, but that is the easiest way to fix the problem. I would go the XP route.

I totally disagree with your statement. I have not had one blue screen with Windows Me and IMHO it tolerates Overclocking much better than Win98Se. I always see ever one bashing Win Me and I can't understand this ,I have it running on my computer at work that goes 5 days a week without a reboot
and 2 computers at home, all systems I have assembled and loaded the OS's on. So it doesn't suck for everone as I have a lot of friends and business associates that run it as well and like it a whole lot better than Win98 and 98SE.
Randy

Randy said:

I totally disagree with your statement. I have not had one blue screen with Windows Me and IMHO it tolerates Overclocking much better than Win98Se. I always see ever one bashing Win Me and I can't understand this ,I have it running on my computer at work that goes 5 days a week without a reboot
and 2 computers at home, all systems I have assembled and loaded the OS's on. So it doesn't suck for everone as I have a lot of friends and business associates that run it as well and like it a whole lot better than Win98 and 98SE.
Randy

It depends on your preferance, personally I hate ME because of a few reasons, mostly because of its incompadibility w/ almost everything; It took me 3 hours to get a scanner installed on ME that worked fine on 98 and a few other of the same things happened w/ video software, etc.. Microsoft also tried to make ME "smart" but failed failed horribly. Win 98 can be manipulated to do whatever u want but try to trick ME into doing something and it just gives u the hardest time it can. Yes, I find "Trickability, and manipuability" very high qualities in an OS. Also the major thing, as Microsofts OS's have advanced the seem to target the novice more and more and leave us geeks behind. DOS=Only Geeks, Win95&98=Perfect Balance between geek and novice, WinME=Likes Novices More, WinXP=I've heard it compared to Sesame St. many times.

drunkmonkey said:

It depends on your preferance, personally I hate ME because of a few reasons, mostly because of its incompadibility w/ almost everything; It took me 3 hours to get a scanner installed on ME that worked fine on 98 and a few other of the same things happened w/ video software, etc.. Microsoft also tried to make ME "smart" but failed failed horribly. Win 98 can be manipulated to do whatever u want but try to trick ME into doing something and it just gives u the hardest time it can. Yes, I find "Trickability, and manipuability" very high qualities in an OS. Also the major thing, as Microsofts OS's have advanced the seem to target the novice more and more and leave us geeks behind. DOS=Only Geeks, Win95&98=Perfect Balance between geek and novice, WinME=Likes Novices More, WinXP=I've heard it compared to Sesame St. many times.

PS, factory installs are never the best, once u reinstall and tweak Win98 how u like it, it's much more stable than ME. Trust me, I've done testing.

This was my first blue screen with ME , and it was caused by a virus.

drunkmonkey said:

PS, factory installs are never the best, once u reinstall and tweak Win98 how u like it, it's much more stable than ME. Trust me, I've done testing.

Opinions, opinions. We talk here as if there is some undeniable proof somewhere..some picture of a system with WinMe turning on it's owner and setting the house on fire.

Some say Win98 is better, or win98SE, or WinMe...blah blah blah. Personally, I couldn't care less. What works for you may not work for me, and vice versa. Win95 is still the fastest....but what's the point?

IMHO ----> I think we should all go back to 3.1

cw823 said:

Opinions, opinions. We talk here as if there is some undeniable proof somewhere..some picture of a system with WinMe turning on it's owner and setting the house on fire.

Some say Win98 is better, or win98SE, or WinMe...blah blah blah. Personally, I couldn't care less. What works for you may not work for me, and vice versa. Win95 is still the fastest....but what's the point?

IMHO ----> I think we should all go back to 3.1
I couldn't agree more cw all I tell from my experiences with win98se and winme is that 98se didn't like cpu overclocked at all and winme has had no psoblem at all get my 1.4 to 1.65.
how this came about is I switched to 98se from me and all of a sudden kept getting widow protection errors until I set it back to default tried raising vcore but didn't help so then I reinstalled ME and have not had any error since unless I go above 1675 and that is alot more than what I could get from 98se

Back