• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista "longhorn"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scott9027 said:
The more we speculate about what the DRM etc. might be like with Vista, the more rumors and lies we will hear about it before it comes out. I'm not worrying about anything that doesn't come from a reputable source regarding DRM or anything else in Windows Vista.

I am not trying to spread rumors or lies, I am trying to think about the future and how this new windows will change gaming history. Look, if I can not watch HD quality movies on my computer, who is to say that some one buying a new HD game will be able to play the game in HD quality on their old system. If Vista is going to not allow me to play my games in HD quality just because I did not buy a new compatible monitor or hardware then what is the point of buying a new game, monitor and hardware. I think this is B-S. I went out and bought Star Wars 3 last night because I like the movie and I will not try to copy it or hack it in any way. I watch movies down stairs on my home system not on my computer. This whole Vista thing is all about tring to stop the underword and a few little punk kids who hack, copy and steal software from people.

I agree with you. I also mostly watch movies on my home system. Sometimes I watch them on my laptop, b/c of its widescreen monitor and b/c it looks pretty :), but I'd much rather watch it on my big flatscreen HDTV b/c its prettier lol.

Anyways, I'm all for stopping people from stealing and distributing dvds, games, etc. but not at the cost of honest, paying consumers' ability to use their own equipment that they BOUGHT AND PAID FOR. If I copy a dvd, its to my hdd or to a dvd-r to back it up, so I can take it with me and watch it whenever I want, not to make copies for others.

They can't assume everyone who uses a computer is a criminal.

They can't assume everyone who uses a computer is a criminal.

They can and do. They aren't going to change their policies until paying customers get angry enough to stop buying their drm riddled crap.

Not all content will be laced forcing you to upgrade your monitor. Some content will play just fine. It is up to the content provider to install the component(HD codec?) in the media.

You'd probably be ok if you upgraded to 2GB or more of RAM. Also, you might need a vid card with more ram, they are saying 256 mb to run well.

I'm not sure it is worth it though tbh. I would just stay with 2K or XP for now. Vista will probably need a few years before hardware catches up to it.

Well everybody needs an excuse to upgrade anyway, this is just an easy one. I mean if you can't run the O/S with your current hardware, you've got to upgrade pronto right? ;)

You'd probably be gtg then with just a RAM upgrade to 2GB, maybe a bit more. You're in better shape than most of us for it. I still haven't taken the 64 bit plunge. Soon maybe.

well it was real easy to take the plunge for me. My compaq wasnt cutting it anymore and I had my dads credit card when i bought my system

MRD said:
Interesting, that's different than the info that was posted here from a transcript with one of the devs for longhorn. What you posted is likely more accurate. However, my guess is it will run pretty badly with those minimum requirements. That is still a very demanding OS, and it bothers me that what makes it so demanding is not all the new features but rather all the new restrictions. Why should I pay money to lose freedoms? None of the advantages to Vista seem very compelling to me.

From what I understand you will be able to run vista with different levels of eye-candy, each requiring different system requirements.

taken from extremetech
A more secure Windows is certainly more welcome, but when you first boot up the OS, security won't be nearly as noticeable as Longhorn's new interface, code named Aero. The biggest visual changes will be seen if you have a reasonably speedy 3D graphics card. According to PC Magazine's Code Name: Longhorn A New Look, if you've got the power, then Aero Glass will employ 3D effects, transparency and animation. If not, then a basic version of the new interface that doesn't require 3D power will be deployed.

From PCWorld
Longhorn will also provide a classic, Windows 2000–style interface as a fallback.

So from this I gather my previous statement. Also I remember a maximum pc article to the same affect which gave a list of system requirements to run vista at different levels of eye-candy.

taken from tom's hardware
Microsoft's next generation operating system, Longhorn, is pushing the industry to create graphics processors that will offload almost all of the typical functions of managing windowed displays. This means that every window on your desktop becomes a 3D texture, whether it is running a game, a digital video, or an Office application. The CPU has to handle all of Longhorn's open apps, videos, and games running in multiple windows, and Microsoft is working on determining how much graphics hardware it should ask for as a minimum to keep its OS humming. The graphics processor becomes a true partner processor for the CPU, but the question is, how low will Microsoft keep the bar on graphics performance and features? Will Microsoft open up the PC and graphics markets by demanding a significantly higher level of 3D graphics performance for base level Longhorn systems than what we are seeing today, or will it try and hedge its bets by staying a generation or two behind the curve?

End result: for the beautiful full features experience vista will be pretty intense (we knew from the BEGINNING of longhorn development that M$ was shooting for a GUI that would be graphically demanding, thus boosting low end pcs from something like a gf2 mx (or some integrated grapics pos) to a gf5 equivelant, thus to some extent bolstering what was then at that time a somewhat weak hardware market) but if you want you can make everything look like **** and run it on like a p3 with integrated grapics. Anyway this thing will be released in a year, by then most of us will have 1GB of ram and will begin the transition to 2GB of ram as "standard", a Radeon 9700 equivelant gfx card (hello gf5) and be transitioning to gf7 & gf 8 gfx cards. Hmm sounds a lot like what we expected from the get go...

(I consider gf5 to be the fx 5600 pos or w/e and the gf6 to be 6800, gf 7 is 7800, gf8 is whatevers next... also of course ATI releases their own series that are on average roughly equivelant in both timeframe and preformance, however it is easier to reference that product cycle by gfX because ati marketers suck and dont stick to one thing like gfX, gfX+1...)

As far as how all the encryption etc will effect preformance, I don't know, but I really doubt the impact will be as great as you may make us try to believe.

As far as DRM goes, it will probably become inescapable, as a result of the rampant pirating which is in my opinion in large part due to how overpriced such things which are often pirated are. I personally have no interest in buying a cd for $20 (I'd much rather listen to xm), or paying $50-$100 for a show on dvd that was originally broadcast, and made available for FREE.

I'm not complaining, because it's what I've been expecting for a long time now..

edit: adding a bit making stuff make sense...no big deal

Last edited:
....show on dvd that was originally broadcast, and made available for FREE.

it was not free, you pay your monthly subscription to watch those shows, weather you do or not is another story, Advertiser pay fees fr commercial duing those shows - nothing is ever free these days, or very seldom.

Mr.Guvernment said:
it was not free, you pay your monthly subscription to watch those shows, weather you do or not is another story, Advertiser pay fees fr commercial duing those shows - nothing is ever free these days, or very seldom.

NBC etc are broadcast over the air, as long as you have an antenna, a tv, and a power source you can watch the shows free of charge. So yes, they were made available to watch for free. You do not have to pay a cable bill to watch network tv.

Cable is a fee for distribution, not for content. There is no change at all whatsoever in your rights to the content when you pay for cable. It's like open source software being sold on a CD... you pay for the CD, not for the software.

onx said:
NBC etc are broadcast over the air, as long as you have an antenna, a tv, and a power source you can watch the shows free of charge. So yes, they were made available to watch for free. You do not have to pay a cable bill to watch network tv.

But you paid for a Tv and an Antenna and the power :) - as said, nothing is free these days :D

MRD said:
Interesting, that's different than the info that was posted here from a transcript with one of the devs for longhorn. What you posted is likely more accurate. However, my guess is it will run pretty badly with those minimum requirements. That is still a very demanding OS, and it bothers me that what makes it so demanding is not all the new features but rather all the new restrictions. Why should I pay money to lose freedoms? None of the advantages to Vista seem very compelling to me.
The problem with M$ is thy don’t support older Os made by them try finding drivers win98-se for newer stuff so in the long run thy will probably win I hope not!!!

Back